Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard Custom Constellation meeting The Nancy Hanks II
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Here is my latest watercolor, "The Nancy on the W & T" depicting the Central of Georgia's crack streamliner paying a call at Tennille, Georgia as it makes its way to Savannah, c. 1964.

The cars pictured actually existed in 1964; the 1964 Pacific Mist Starfire was owned by my Great Aunt and Uncle and the 1955 Jade over Tourmaline Clipper Constellation was driven by their closest friends in Tennille.

I remember that Clipper well, as it was used to fetch me from the city pool on countless summer days. I was always warned to put a towel down over the beautiful cloth inserts.

My Great Aunt--who was taken to exaggeration--used to tell hilarious stories about taking shopping trips with Miss Sara and becoming "seasick" on their trips to and from Macon. My Great Aunt Willie Maude had no clue what the Torsion-Level system was all about, but she said that the car could never make up its mind where it wanted to settle. She was either "thrown" towards the dashboard, or received a good neck "whiplash" from reclining too far on the passenger seat. It all made for great, hilarious drama and I would get her to retell it often, already being a Packard man even then.

Admittedly, these 1955 Customs did have their share of problems with the innovative ride and leveling system, but I doubt that such malfunctions caused the extremes that my relative seemed to claim.

The "Nancy"--as it was affectionately called--is shown on the old Wrightsville and Tennille tracks, which allowed me to capture a better glimpse of this beautiful train. I rode it many times, right up until the end when Amtrak dismissed it. Alas, my Great Aunt is gone, the Tennille passenger terminal was torn down, but who knows--that Clipper might just still be around!

Limited edition signed giclee prints of this painting are currently available on E-Bay.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.66 KB)
4212_58924812e8537.jpg 720X529 px

Posted on: 2017/2/1 15:54
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard Custom Constellation meeting The Nancy Hanks II
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Love your work, trains and Packard vehicles both catch my interest. In the mid 1950's I made at least several trips from Savannah to Atlanta and back on the Nancy.

Your aunt's tale sounds more like a description of travel on the Nancy. I remember one sections where it felt like you were riding on a whip being snapped.

On one such trip my aunt was standing when the train made a snap and threw her into the lap of the folks on one side of the aisle, grandfather got up to see what had happened and about that time the train made another snap and threw him in the laps of the folks on the other side of the aisle.

Good old days.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 18:52
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard Custom Constellation meeting The Nancy Hanks II
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Great story and totally believable. I can remember those heavy china plates and mugs in the luncheon car rattling like tin cans on a wedding car. As we made our way through an especially rough section of track past Macon I really expected them to hit the linoleum floor. The distinguished black stewards in their white jackets always prevented such a calamity. They could pour a cup of coffee without spilling a drop...sort of like doing the same in a 55-56 Packard with Torsion Level Ride!

Posted on: 2017/2/4 13:51
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved