Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Modern (improved) fluids for Twin-Ultramatic?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I see that Dexron or Type F is generally recommended.

Is ATF+4 compatible? It's apparently a newer synthetic fluid used by modern Chryslers with superior characteristics regarding temperature stability and longevity, and is supposedly a Dexron type of fluid with friction modifiers that improve shifting characteristics, the latter having been a traditional weak point of TU?

Posted on: 2017/2/6 10:38
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Re: Modern (improved) fluids for Twin-Ultramatic?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't comment on the suitability of ATF+4, but keep in mind Ultramatic was designed to use a fluid without slip agents. Yes, fluids with slip agents give smoother shifts because, well, they allow some slippage of the friction surfaces during engagement. If I had a nice freshly rebuilt Ultramatic or Twin Ultramatic with new friction surfaces, proper hydraulic pressures and the like I don't think it matters much whether you use one with slip agents like Dexron, or one without. If my Ultramatic were well along in it's life cycle and the direct drive clutch were beginning to groan or "moo" on lock-up, I'd be inclined to try a fluid with "grip" instead of "slip" agents, for example B&M Trick Shift.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 12:56
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved