Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: spark plug wire sets for 1952
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No really good photos but looking at this one I would guess 1-4 were top left and 2-3 bottom left with the right side being 5-7 bottom right and 6-8 top right. I don't think it matters much as long as two sequentially firing cylinder wires are not running parallel right next to one another.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.04 KB)
209_58bf2ed7730b1.jpg 752X558 px

Posted on: 2017/3/7 17:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

CavalierRebel
See User information
Looked like a spaghetti mess before, I just wanted it close to the way it was from the factory. What you described is close to the way I'm doing it. Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I to was confused as to the plug wire routing through the 8 hole separator. I agree with HH56, there does not seem to be a photo or plate to follow . . . and I looked for one.
I wired my '54 by routing the forward cylinder plug wires through the forward holes in the 8 hole separator. This places all of the 'wire crossing' between the separator and the distributor cap towers. This would be the routing described by HH56.
When I wired my '48 I let the distributor cap tower dictate the placement of the wire. For the forward distributor cap towers the wires were routed through the forward holes in the 8 hole separator. This places all of the 'wire crossing' after (on the plug side) the 8 hole separator.
The '48 strategy makes for a 'cleaner look', at least to my eye, since between the cap and the separator the wires are quite orderly, and most of the 'wire crossing' is somewhat hidden by the coil. The photos I posted were of this wiring strategy. The '54 strategy is a bit busy between the cap and 8 hole separator.
I didn't include any information on firing order because my cars had the distributors installed essentially 180 out from one another. That's not a big deal once you know where number one is located and the direction of rotation, and the engine would never know if you simultaneously rotated the rotor 180 and advanced all plug wires by 4 towers.
I can't say that either scheme is prone to 'cross fire' or whatever the term is for the magnetic field in one wire inducing a current in its neighbor. The 327 runs like a big locomotive, while the 288 runs like a slightly smaller locomotive, perhaps like the little engine that could.
dp

Posted on: 2017/3/7 18:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day CavalierRebel,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your Packard(a Cavalier maybe?) in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/3/8 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: spark plug wire sets for 1953 Clipper Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I'm tuning my car and need new wire sets. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2017/4/18 22:03
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Re: spark plug wire sets for 1953 Clipper Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One alternative, the one many of us chose, is to go to the auto parts store and buy the wire and the end terminals and make your own. I recommend copper core wire (i.e. NOT resistor wire); if you have issues with radio interference you could switch to resistor spark plugs.

Posted on: 2017/4/19 7:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved