Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 heater duct clamps?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
On my 1955 400 were the fresh air duct hose (the black cloth wrapped hose) between the heater core and the fan motor tube held on with a clamp, and if so where can i get them?

Posted on: 2017/2/13 21:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 heater duct clamps?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No clamps are shown or called for in the parts book. The cloth sections were fairly snug on the metal ducts and long enough to slide over the metal on each side a good inch or two. There are some small barb like protrusions -- 3 I think -- toward the ends of each metal section. The fabric portion extended far enough on the metal and over the barbs so they would catch and hold the support wire in the cloth ducting. The blower connection to the fender metal duct has no hose -- just a rubber gasket on the blower housing which abuts the end of the metal duct section and makes a seal.

If your cloth piece has shrunk or become damaged and you need a clamp to keep it on the metal you can buy 5" or 6" modern screw on clamps at Lowes and probably Home Depot too. Look for them in the air conditioning and heating duct section. If you don't want the shiny band to be too obvious, once you get a measurement to about where the clamp will tighten you can mark it. Open it up so the band will come out of the screw. Slide a length of 3/8 unshrunk black heat shrink around the steel to camouflage that shiny portion. It will need an approx 16" length for the 5"+ duct. Reconnect the band to the screw and rotate the screw part down under the duct and out of sight before tightening again.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.28 KB)
209_58a26f6b5045c.jpg 458X674 px

Posted on: 2017/2/13 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
THANKS FOR THE INFO ILL TRY THAT.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 7:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Max Merritt (and I'm sure others) offer a reproduction black air duct product that I've successfully used in the past without the clamps. Good luck.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 8:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
While there does not seem to be official mention of clamps in the service literature, over the years I have indeed seen two different types of clamps used on these flex conduits. As to who and where they were installed? Who knows?

Two of my Caribbeans had them and the clamps were (or appeared to be) identical to those used for modern household clothes dryer vents (as from your laundry dryer). These clamps had the appearance of radiator hose clamps on steroids. Larger diameter but easily removed by squeezing the two bent ends together (there is a tool for this but the name escapes me at the moment).

My nearly NOS 1955 Patrician from Los Angeles Earle C. Anthony dealership with extremely low mileage (and yes, I have all of the original papers) came with these clamps.

I have also seen more than one V-8 Packard in SoCal with Aeroquip-Marman screw-type clamps with stainless steel bands.

Again, I'm not saying the factory did these, but somebody (possibly ECA, Inc.) did.

One thing is for certain: you want these flex hoses tight and unperforated since they are supposed to be delivering fresh air to your passenger cabin-not carbon monoxide!

Posted on: 2017/2/16 19:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
One more question the baffle that is mounted to the right front fender that provides air to the heater-can it be taken off?

Posted on: 2017/2/17 13:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what you mean by baffle. If you mean the long sort of odd shaped 30.824 part in the illustration which goes from square to flat rectangular and then round for the duct hose piece mounted on and painted the same color as the fender then no. It is spot welded onto the inner fender. If you mean the flapper or flat movable piece inside the round duct directly under the heater box which shuts off or directs the air then yes. Any other pieces of the heater assy such as the core would most likely need the heater box removed from the firewall unless it has been out before and the screws on the back were left out when reinstalling.

Posted on: 2017/2/17 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved