Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Universal Power Brake Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Here are stock pic his pic are very complete as to work involved in the change over which also included disc brakes
Pedal ratio chart also handy to have. The guy who did this said he talked to a Packard owner who did this I assume he meant Craig

Attach file:

jpg  (12.33 KB)
252_58a5e7a1600ca.jpg 448X253 px

jpg  (10.26 KB)
252_58a5e7bd56ab1.jpg 448X253 px

gif  (57.49 KB)
252_58a5e7df77cb6.gif 778X513 px

Posted on: 2017/2/16 12:56
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
i used American brake systems unit is made to support the packard straight pedal and and 1 to 1 throw ratio because it is an electricly operated pump with a reservoir on the firewall and the electric pump mounted on the frame. they also have disk brake conversion kits ( they sent me senior disks and i had to return them for the slightly smaller junior set . also i had so modification to the shift rod to go around the master cylinder i also usde a power brake pedal because it just fit better than the manual setup.

Posted on: 2017/2/17 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have seen 55-57 Ford T-Birds with a power brake booster that is separate from the master cylinder (Moraine?). Maybe one of these could help solve the tight space problem when replacing the BTV unit.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/18 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe JW means a Midland unit.. Similar in operation to the Bendix Hydro-vac. Believe Fords stuck with Midland remotes and and also had an underdash unit by Kelsey Hayes. Studebaker and others used the Hydro-vacs in many models of that mid 50 early 60s period.

Both need a regular master operated by the pedal which in turn activates a remote cylinder. That is tied in with and works the main master as well as an aux vacuum control setup to work the power booster. Since the pedal operated master is tied in with the main hydraulics as a backup in case the booster fails, believe pedal ratio is still a concern.

Here is the TBird version of the Midland.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.69 KB)
209_58a87cb42b049.jpg 800X538 px

Posted on: 2017/2/18 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks, HH56. Advantage of the Midland unit is the balky booster part can be mounted separately from the master cylinder. Also the units can be services separately.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/19 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Down side is these units are for single circuit systems guess you could use two for split system

Posted on: 2017/2/19 15:11
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good point.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/19 22:37
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are considering a remote unit ABS sells a modern booster with a dual master designed to mount in the trunk or anywhere else there is space. It operates similarly to the Midland and Hydro-Vac units with a small pedal operated manual type master operating remote cylinders to activate the booster. It shows two operating cylinders so it appears to be designed for a dual brake system.

I am still intrigued by an under floor approach and if I had a parts car or something to play with without fenders in the way would look into it. Saw one universal street rod pedal & bracket with a long rod attached so the booster could be located quite some distance from the pedal.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.69 KB)
209_58aa713c017ed.jpg 968X510 px

Posted on: 2017/2/19 23:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Send the original unit to Ross Miller when he gets back to Maryland he will rebuild it and it will work just fine-DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT SEND IT TO ANYONE ELSE (ESPECIALLY WHITE POST). Ross rebuilt mine and I havent had a problem with it since.

Posted on: 2017/2/26 0:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved