Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

DAYCOREP, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Killed my gauges
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ah ha! The coil was wired backwards apparently....now there's a sticking lifter. Fun never ends!

Posted on: 2017/4/26 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We did not touch the coil wires when reawakening the car. A coil wired backwards may result in shorter point life perhaps by 20%. That means 15,000 miles instead of 18,000 miles during which it will run just fine

Posted on: 2017/4/26 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I figured when he mentioned it was backwards you guys didn't touch it!

Unfortunately the speedo cable he picked up at Carlisle wasn't the right one, but it is an improvement and the fuel sending unit is taking a break...but I told him I could drive just fine without those things for a while. Just long enough to give my wallet a break!

It's back to running again and I"m hoping to pick it up tonight The only question is, do I really want my trip of any distance (35 miles) to be in the dark or just wait till tomorrow.

Posted on: 2017/4/27 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Trevor K. - Your mechanic may be mistaken about the coil wires being crossed. Unless changed, your 1955 Patrician has a positive grounded system. This means the positive (+) terminal of the coil is connected to the distributor. Most everything from 1955 on (except for Packard and maybe a couple of others) have a negative grounded system. For those vehicles with coils and distributors the negative (-) terminal of the coil goes to the distributor.

Your mechanic may have changed the coil wires to conform with the conventional method, but it will be incorrect.

Positive ground, positive coil terminal to distributor. Negative ground, negative coil terminal to distributor.

To differ with Fred: An incorrectly wired coil will result in a weaker spark and will most likely affect an engine's starting and performance.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/27 16:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Thanks, JWL!

I was sure to point out that the car was positive ground when I dropped it out, but my mechanic appeared to already be familiar with that fact. I'll double check it with him though, cuz it can't hurt.

Posted on: 2017/4/28 6:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
On the subject of a coil with reversed polarity: 41-48 Chevrolet had a polarity reversing switch in the foot starter linkage. Each time you pressed the foot starter the polarity of the distributor/coil was reversed. This was done to help increase point life as a "hill" is created on one side and a "crater" on the other point. This tended to reduce the cater/hill. As I understand it was discontinued due to failure of the switch resulting in a car that wouldn't start.

Certainly a company with the resources of GM researched this and found it didn't reduce power etc etc.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 23:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Well now that my car is back to running, currently being detailed I think I've moved on to "shake down" to figure out what else needs attention while I enjoy it...probably should save up enough to overhaul the ultramatic just to be safe....but that's a story for another area. I'm gonna move on over to the project blogs with this as I take my time with it and focus on enjoying it!

Posted on: 2017/5/3 5:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The last thing you should do is take a low mileage, perfectly operating Ultramatic and rebuild it. Before that perhaps remove the heater, clock, dome light switch, voltage regulator, rear axle etc etc and rebuild them "just to be safe"

Posted on: 2017/5/3 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Sound advice, Fred. Perhaps just saving up in general would be the best bet lol The ultramatic does worry me a bit b/c it's not going into direct drive soon enough and sometimes groans - but I also need to drive the car around and give it some exercise, so it could just need some time.

Posted on: 2017/5/3 13:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your Ultramatic... "sometimes groans"

They can groan for years and years and otherwise give perfectly satisfactory service. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted on: 2017/5/3 14:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved