Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

BigKev, 109settle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

46-50 trunk light -- episode two.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the few of you that saw yesterdays post and the first version of replacing the old mercury switch with the modern glass envelope switch, apologies. It worked well but the use of the silicone made the workmanship and appearance not to standard.

Decided to use the modern one piece alarm tilt switch available on ebay, Amazon and some local alarm shops. The one I bought locally was not the Mobilistics brand and was right at $10 with tax. It is a rolling ball but still rated about one amp so high enough for the 46-50. The #55 bulb used in 46-50 pulls approx 400ma, the #81 bulb for 51-4 is about 1.1 amps and the #89 for 55-6 is about 600ma. If you have the option, buy the higher capacity but at least make sure the switch you buy is rated appropriately for the bulb.

The 46-7 trunk lid has an opening in the lid above the light assy, 48-50 probably does too. I took advantage of that opening for the switch placement. Mounting was done with a piece of 1/4" phenolic board with an 8-32 screw and nut. Plexiglass would work too. I wanted something thick enough to be able to countersink the heads of the mounting and terminal screws so chose the 1/4" board. The terminal screw is 4-40 and head is countersunk well away from the metal lamp body but I still added a layer of tape on the bottom of the phenolic to cover the head. Don't know about 51-4 but 55-6 will need a different place and method to mount the switch as the lamp housing is long and in a confined space with no extra room above the assy. Possibly the switch could be mounted in the hollow space on the side of the light using one of the original mounting holes with a different screw and a nut and washer to hold the light and switch.

As the switch is made and mounted, the angle is such that when installed in the car the light turns on when lid is about 3/4 up and turns off when about 1/3 down. The bracket can be bent slightly to change those angles.

Wiring was a matter of removing the guts out of the original socket. Mine had been wet at some point so the cardboard tube and contact support piece were in bad shape. Made a nylon spacer to replace the mercury switch. It is the same diameter as the old cardboard sleeve and same length as the old mercury switch. Roughly 3/8 long and just under 7/16 in diameter. You could use other materials too. A terminal lug was soldered on one lead of the new switch and running the other lead thru the socket pieces and then soldering a contact button on the end completed the wiring. If it is in good shape, you can cut and add a terminal to the old supply wire to attach to the new terminal screw or just run a new wire..

Attach file:

jpg  (92.36 KB)
209_58a9f8520bb2e.jpg 1200X898 px

Posted on: 2017/2/19 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 46-50 trunk light -- episode two.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can anyone verify or have a photo of the wire run along the hinge for the pre 51 trunk lights? I have two clips -- one at the lid top L hinge bolt and another on the body side rear hinge bolt. I am curious if there should be something on the hinge arm itself to support the wire in the middle. I believe the later cars had a push on clip or two to hold the wire but what about the pre 51 models. I see no sign of anything like that ever installed on this car and that seems like a long span of wire that could be free to get caught on something.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 11:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Howard,
I was being rushed so I apologise for the poor picture quality. Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but the wire runs over the hinge to the inboard side, then snakes back out, and rests in the u-shaped channel of the hinge arm. Let me know if clarification or better pictures would be helpful.
- Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (95.33 KB)
19454_58adeb4866bb8.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/2/22 14:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. I appreciate the photo. Revised mine to follow the same path and it will work. Kind of thinking that entire assy was an afterthought. Am a bit surprised Packard didn't use an additional clip or two of some kind on the side of the hinge to keep the wiring neatly fastened and all on one side.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi Howard, I've been pretty busy and forgetful but it looks like I'm not much help. My one trunk light looks like it was an add on, but here's the pictures anyway.
Wes
I forgot to say this is from my 47.

Attach file:

jpg  (267.41 KB)
1003_58af42c23967e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (241.96 KB)
1003_58af42d130a62.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (152.59 KB)
1003_58af42ddf1a15.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (189.03 KB)
1003_58af42ea87f6f.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/2/23 15:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved