Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

load leveler motor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
The load leveler on our 55 Custom Clipper has been trouble free for about 10 years with the exception of a blown fuse a while back. However, I have noticed the motor seems to be getting louder and it sounds strained when leveling the car. Only notice it at idle but it may be doing that while cruising and road noise covers it up. I don't see a grease fitting on the case. To me it sounds dry. Fix?

Posted on: 2017/3/2 17:32
 Top  Print 

Re: load leveler motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you've failed to maintain the grease in the gearbox, that's probably the source of the noise. It may not be too late now, read the shop manual - you can remove the plug at the bottom and feed grease until it exits at the top. In my experience StaLube SL 3303 is a near equivalent for the OEM grease.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 18:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would be surprised if it is entirely dry since it is in a sealed case but there is a possibility the wrong grease was used and it has either channeled away from the pinions or is not up to the huge load of the planetary. There is no grease fitting but there is a plug on the case that can be removed. I think it is a thread where a fitting can be inserted for filling with the special moly based lube and then removed again. If there is any chance the wrong grease is in there now I am not sure I would be adding anything until verified just in case there is a compatibility issue.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.21 KB)
209_58b8a99ff0198.jpg 658X752 px

Posted on: 2017/3/2 18:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
I have had the car since 94 and never serviced the grease in the motor. Thanks for the help. I will try to find the sta lube mentioned and add some grease. thanks a lot for the help!

Posted on: 2017/3/3 10:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
With no idea of recently purchased 1995 400 grease in torsion balance, would Stalube 3303 be compatible with (?) non synthetic grease presently in compensator?

Posted on: 2017/3/3 16:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Correction. Should be 1955 400

Posted on: 2017/3/3 16:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just my two cents but unless there is evidence of some work on the compensator or a history the TL has been worked on I would go under the assumption the grease is original and just add some of the StaLube.

Where it gets dicey is when a rebuilt compensator comes off ebay or has been rebuilt by someone unknown. It could have been worked on by a non Packard person who did not know the special grease was a moly high load or extreme pressure grease and assumed grease was grease and just used ordinary chassis lube instead.

Posted on: 2017/3/3 18:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Re: The Torsion Level Compensator gearbox relief valve.

Is the "pin" in the relief valve supposed to be spring loaded so that it returns to the closed position or not spring loaded so it can be moved in-and-out by hand and stay in what ever position it is moved to by hand???

Posted on: 2017/3/22 20:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. i removed the pressure relief valve. Used a deep well 7/16 socket.
It IS spring loaded. But apparently the spring in mine (a very pampered and always garged 56 Exec) has weakened. UNLESS there is supposed to be some kind of a rubber oring around the OUTside of the pin to take some of the spring slack. But i doubt that.

Pics later on or maybe a you-Tube.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 14:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
While we're on the subject, can anyone identify the tool that will remove the plug to allow the fitting to be installed?
It looks like an Allen wrench, but I could not find an Allen to fit it. I also did not have my glasses when car was up on rack for brake adjust, so I can't swear that it is an Allen wrench plug. I have the proper grease and the gun is loaded BUT I can't remove the plug.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 15:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved