Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Distributors for a 1949 288 Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...Our 1949 288 Deluxe had a Delco 111-08-11 distributor unit on it presently. It has been rebuilt and seems to work pretty well. However, it seems to me that I read someplace that there was an improved distributor from Delco that came along a few years later and was an improvement for the 288 engine. God knows if what I remember is correct, many times it is not. However if such a beast does exist can someone give me the part number for it and let me know where I might find one. Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/4 17:21
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributors for a 1949 288 Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a different number used on the 288 in 51 and 52 and a different one again for 53 which has the same initial specs but has different advance curves. I don't find any documentation saying there was to be a factory change on the 49s -- just an article saying mechanics had been asking for the breaker plate only to be able to be serviced so parts was making a separate breaker plate assy available.

No advance specs are given for the 49s but if you can find the specs on the 1110811 you might compare them to the 51-2 1110825 or 53s 1110836. The later ones should bolt in.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.73 KB)
209_58bb64d52615a.jpg 782X432 px

jpg  (55.13 KB)
209_58bb674014ae0.jpg 956X586 px

Posted on: 2017/3/4 20:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening HH-56. Thank you very much for the information. I think that I have the information for the 111-08-11. I'll do a spread sheet all three tomorrow, and send it along to everyone, just for the hell of it. I can see that the engine would behave just a bit differently. The one thought that strikes me is that the engines changed from 10mm to 14mm plugs at some point (I think) during this time. I wonder if this change would have made some of the change in the distributor? Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/4 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening HH-56. Thank you very much for the information. I think that I have the information for the 111-08-11. I'll do a spread sheet all three tomorrow, and send it along to everyone, just for the hell of it. I can see that the engine would behave just a bit differently. The one thought that strikes me is that the engines changed from 10mm to 14mm plugs at some point (I think) during this time. I wonder if this change would have made some of the change in the distributor? Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/4 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information

Posted on: 2017/3/4 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
According to Robert Neal and a few others, the switch away from the 10mm plugs happened in February 1950, five months before the 23rd Series stopped. No other concurrent changes were mentioned other than the size difference. I don't see how this might affect the fitting of either the Delco or the Autolite distributor. I'd be interested if Howard or others could tell me if the two brands are interchangeable. I just had a devil of a time finding an Autolite generator for my pre-February 1950 Eight, where the more common Delco parts might have shared applications with their GM cousins, making the hunt not as difficult.

Posted on: 2017/3/4 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Any curve/advance changes in an "improved" distributor in a 65 year old car would be difficult or impossible to notice anyway. Just drive and enjoy your fine automobile. Changing from bias to radials would most likely affect performance/mileage more significantly.

Posted on: 2017/3/4 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Delco and Autolite Packard distributors will interchange. A Delco distributor from another make will not fit without modifying it. I have mixed parts from a Delco Packard and Delco Oldsmobile distributor in my 37 Six.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/3/4 22:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I've got a couple of Autolites if you want to try one of them....
DAF

Posted on: 2017/3/5 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...Thank you all for your help. 'Miss Prudence' is running well, so I'm just going to drive her and enjoy her and trust the folks who designed and built her. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/5 10:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved