Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 183

Marty or Marston, Joe, Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Distributors for a 1949 288 Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
EV - FYI; You don't necessarily have to change distributors, per se, to change advance curves. They used to sell the advance parts (weights and springs, etc) at the parts stores but I haven't seen any offered since electronic ignition came in. Some hoarders probably have them all. Maybe someone else has more current info?
They made distributor testing machines for this which can also check to make sure proper functioning. Hopefully, your rebuilder did that. But those machines are getting scarce too. I saw two for sale at auction last week and have looked for some time.
Today you just change the tune program in the ECM.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/pages/29-48%20Delco%20Remy.pdf
pg 67.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Fish' n Jim. Miss Prudence's Delco 111-08-11 was tested on a sun machine and set up properly. She has run just like she should for the last 250 miles or so.

You are right about weights, springs and cams! My major problem was that the shaft appeared to have moved up enough to dislodge one of the weights and it was dragging around the outside of the case.

I was able to find another 111-08-11 at Max and I'm going to put the shaft into the lathe and cut a small grove and insert a keeper and then see if it runs just as nice and does not move up and down.

Because I started with Model A Fords, in the 1960s' my instincts are not always Packard specific. Right or wrong, it does not seem to me that the shaft should be able to move up and down only controlled by the spring tension from the rotor to the extent that the weight can come off of its pin.

This is just an experiment...maybe I need more to occupy me!

Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/16 15:25
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ernie, I believe there is a spec for the shaft end play. As I recall this spec was adjusted with shims, something like you are proposing.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/3/16 15:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you can lift the cam upwards such that it separates from the lower shaft and the centrifugal advance weights then you are missing the unique little spring clip that fasteners in the cavity below the where the rotor nests.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening Owen...you are amazing when it comes to what makes a Packard run properly. Can you supply a part number that I can then go shopping with? Thanks, very much. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/16 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry Ernie, for some reason I had the AutoLite distributors on my mind when I responded. The AutoLite part number for the retaining clip is IG-680 Lock Spring Ring and the thrust washer is IG_90; sorry but I don't recall at the moment how different the Delco unit might be.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Owen...Thank you for the numbers. They will be a good starting point. I will at least have an idea how the part is suppose to function. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/17 11:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved