Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Clipper will not stay in reverse until clutch engaged
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Rscott77x wrote:
Howard,
There is a question I have been wanting to ask you.
My car will not stay in reverse until I let out the clutch. I think it is the spring and ball bearing detents. Does the transmission have to be removed to replace these parts. It would be nice to have it work correctly!!
Is my diagnosis correct?
Robert
Re: Falls out of reverse til clutch is engaged.

Have you checked the adjustment of the rods? Possibly the first and reverse idler lever or rod bushings are worn or the turnbuckle is adjusted a bit short and the lever on side of trans is not moving all the way into the detent position

If that seems OK, you can disconnect the rod from the rear lever on side of trans and manually move the lever to better feel the detents. If they are suspect, the trans top cover can be removed without taking the trans out of the car. The detent block assy is part of the top cover. Remove the carpet and there is a large sheetmetal plate held by several screws down each side which is covering the trans. It is large but will come out and allow full access to the top of trans.

Howard

Posted on: 2017/3/8 21:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved