Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 119

Packard Don, happy, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ultramatic ATF
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
modern linings....modern fluid.

old, factory style linings....type F

Posted on: 2017/3/15 11:55
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ben Thielbar Jr.
See User information
On my older cars I use type A, I buy it from a local tractor and auto parts store. New type A is just a basic transmission fluid like type F but with no additives or detergents. It says on the back ' for use on older automatic transmissions'. Seems a bit different than what you're looking at though.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Karl,
for including your '56 Patrician Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/6/11 17:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We use wahtever fluid we have on the shelf for our 50's GM HYdramatics, 50's Torqueflites , Ultramatics, 95 Suburban or 2005 Mopar.

Never heard of a failure or poor performance from using the "wrong" fluid

Posted on: 2017/6/12 7:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not disagreeing with what you said, Fred. But if I had an Ultra or Twin Ultra with a groaning DD clutch, I'd probably opt for a neutral fluid like type F or one with grip enhancers like Trick Shift over those fluids with slip agents.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I've heard some say that the Hydromatic transmissions sometimes develop slip using the newer Dextron type fluid, I guess because they are slipperier.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Did I see somewhere a recommendation for an ATF additive that is good for an Ultramatic??? Can't find now, maybe it was on FB?

Posted on: 2023/8/8 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My '51 made all kinds of noise when it tried to lock up the drive system to direct drive. I tried changing to Type F, but it did not seem to make a difference.

I eventually replaced the fluid with B&M Trick Shift Transmission Fluid. While it did not eliminate the noise, it did decrease it and cut down the frequency when it happened. I drove the car about 4000 miles without any issues before I sold the car.

Posted on: 2023/8/25 3:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I just drained my transmission, including the torque converter and removed and cleaned the pan. My transmission did have a bit of a growl, but I put Pensoil Type F back in and it seems to have cleared it up. I have no idea what fluid the previous owners had put in the transmission, or how long since it had been changed.

Posted on: 2023/8/25 9:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Dexron is supposed to be the replacement for Type A, but experience has shown that Dexron tends to produce too much slippage in transmissions originally designed for Type A, not just the Ultramatic.

Type F has greater dynamic friction than Dexron, and will reduce slippage for faster, firmer shifts that increase clutch and band life.

I run all my old transmissions that originally specified Type A on Type F instead. The worst-case result is that you feel more of a jerk when they shift, but that is sure a whole lot better than feeling slippage!

My Ultramatic is quite happy on Type F.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 2:16
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved