Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 148

Wat_Tyler, BDeB, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Battery change
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
So, in terms of a new battery, it seems that the traditional rubber type ones don't quote the cold Cranking Amperage (CCA) - at least here in olde England.

My options seem to be this one

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/6v-classic-car-batteries/6v-511-ultra-plus-classic-car-battery/

or this ugly looking Optima one

http://www.optimabatteries.co.uk/en/red-top/14-optimar-redtop-s-21-6volt.html

The Ultra Plus type is 112 Ah and 800 CCA
The optima is only 55Ah but 825 CCA

I guess the amp-hours is not so important as there is nothing on the car to use it - radio, heater, electric windows etc.

Which would you go for?

Posted on: 2017/3/20 11:01
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon kts68. I can tell you that we use an Optima to start our 1949 Packard Deluxe with a 288 engine. I cranks her over easily and has been doing so for 4.5 years. You have a beautiful machine...Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/20 11:45
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am a believer in the more CCA the better as long as the battery can fit in the space available. The accessories available then don't have huge loads so the Ah shouldn't be that much of an issue. Since so many have had good luck with Optima batteries starting large Packard engines one cannot ignore their experiences. Taken care of and with the proper charging they also seem to be very low maintenance and last a long time.

I have no idea where the battery is located in those cars but if hidden under a seat then as long as it is securely mounted there should be no issue with it being ugly. John Ulrich has made a repro under seat battery box specifically shaped to secure Optimas for the cars in years he specializes in.

If the battery is out in the open and "in your face" then perhaps a false cover to make it look more like a conventional lead acid battery would help.http://quailservices.com/index.html There are several other suppliers also carrying lines of false covers. Unfortunately, I have not found one for the long batteries used in 41-50 Clipper style bodies.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Hi Everyone, I just bought a 1953 Clipper Deluxe. It is SWEET! It needs a battery. I looked at Deka but it is too high. Can you recommend a 6 V Group 2, Positive ground? What battery is best?

Posted on: 2017/3/20 22:56
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Brenda,
to PackardInfo but sorry I can't help regarding the battery.

However, I invite you to include your '53 Clipper Deluxe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 0:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Brenda, a NAPA 7204 will fit just fine. It is a little taller, but I have installed them many times over the years with no problems. There is no positive or negative ground on batteries, it is just the way they are hooked up. On your car the cable that goes to the starter will attach to the negative post of the battery.

Take a little sandpaper and clean the inside of the terminals before you connect. Also take a good look at the cables themselves if you have starting difficulties. They need to be clean and firmly attached at both ends, and the cables need to be at least as big as your index finger as these 6 volt cars pull a lot of current as they crank.

A 53 Clipper is a delightful car to drive.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 5:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
thank you I went to Napa today and they couldn't find a 6 volt. I didn't have the part number with me. I'll go tomorrow. Thank you Brenda

Posted on: 2017/3/24 1:36
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I am sadly stunned by their incompetence. I looked up the number on their website.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
For those of you with a Tractor Supply Company outlet nearby, their six volt Exide labeled battey fits a 22-23 Series tray and hold down nicely. We now have these batteries in my 1950 and a friend's 1948, both doing nicely for about a $100 each. I keep a fully charged Optima Red Top 6 volt in the trunk for just in case I need a boost or replacement. For those of you who have never ventured inside a TSC store, there must be something for everyone inside. They not only have batteries and stuff to keep tractors alive, they have a wide range of vet supplies and pet foods. It will be the place for me to go next time I need goat de-workers or hog troughs.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Would the NAPA 7212 fit in the battery box of a 740? The box is 15 3/8" long x 8 1/2" wide x 10 1/4" deep. NAPA doesn't give the dimensions of the 7212 battery on its website.

Posted on: 2017/6/7 21:58
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved