Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 90

Sherlock, Ozstatman, 64avanti, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1942 special six club sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Eaton
See User information
Hello,

Brand new to the site. Very Impressive!!

I am considering buying a 1942 6 cyl 2dr sedan for sale near me. Its rough, but pretty much all there. However the data plate is missing and this worries me.

I'm hoping for advice on what to look at/for on this car and how big of an impact the missing plate is.

the car is not running, the interior is completely shot. the glass is there, the engine is complete but stuck, and the radiator is missing.

I would put photo's on if I was more savvy.

the current asking price is $4500.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 12:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 special six club sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, the two door makes it one of the more desirable models but with the description of what is needed am not sure the asking price is realistic -- but then I have never been known for current price accuracy.

Without the patent plate, unless there is original paperwork with the car there is no way to determine the actual VN as it left the factory. If it has the small Briggs body tag still on the firewall that would at least give an idea of the exact model and when it was made during production run but would not be official. There is a slim chance an original build slip showing the official number could still be present taped on top of the glovebox or tucked between the fuel fill and vent pipes but that is really a longshot. The build slip is a narrow 2-3 inch wide strip of paper containing a bunch of numbers and letters.

Many cars of that era were registered with the motor number which will be on the drivers side of block just below the head and somewhere near the distributor. If the motor has been changed but was registered and has paperwork under the old number then it can open a real can of worms getting it reregistered.

Here is the motor number format and range of numbers used for the various engines in that period. On a six the number would still be on the drivers side of block but could be closer to the front of the engine rather than nearer the distributor

Attach file:

jpg  (159.73 KB)
209_58d015ab37768.jpg 1442X1074 px

Posted on: 2017/3/20 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd like to see some good photos, but as HH says and from your description it sounds very much overpriced.

Without the data plate (more correctly, the patent plate) you'll never be able to recover the original vehicle number unless you can trace something back thru prior owners.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 13:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chris Eaton,
to PackardInfo.

If you do purchase the '42 Special Six Club Sedan, or any other Packard for that matter, I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 15:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
It's rare and it's a pretty body style. It's also a SWB 6 cyl. The six is rare but that doesn't make it worth more.

I've seen photos and I agree it looks a little overpriced, but it's an upside-down car as far as resale even if you get it at $2500. So it's more about whether it turns your crank.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 15:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Assuming you're looking at the Clipper in Wakefield, NH, the CL ad can be found here. At $4500 (actually, the ad says $4200) he's going to own that car for a long time.

If the body is relatively dry it might be worth a passing look but with it living in New England I have a hard time believing that it is rust free. If this one is like my '47 (from Illinois) you'll want to carefully check for rot in the splash panels behind the front bumper and beneath the grille, the floor boards near the front door posts, the bottom of the rocker panels and in the trunk.

On the bright side, I did notice the car has the roof mount antennae. If that's in good shape it can net a hefty premium to the right buyer.

-Scott

Posted on: 2017/3/21 0:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Eaton
See User information
Hello all,

Thanks for so much info!

Yes it is the car in Wakefield, NH

I am aware that I find it to have that barn find appeal and that and adds so much in the emotional attraction. so thanks so much for the reality check!!

the seller is very upfront about its condition, he seems like a real straight shooter. (yea!)

the car was on a lift ready to go up when i got there. And yes there is rust. it needs cabin floors, trunk floors, the gas tank is nearly artistic in the fact that there is less than half of it still there.

no doubt its way beyond a cost effective restoration (sadly) The only thing I could see doing with it would be to do a mechanical restoration, do something with the interior, and drive it as is. which does appeal to me. Patina I think its called right? Ha Ha

The car has been registered in NH and the current owner has the paperwork, he purchased the car from an estate sale. I assume the ID plate is gone forever.

With the thought of just making it roadworthy; Are these engines overly expensive to rebuild? I can do the labor, sub out the machine work, but i have no idea about the parts etc.

the radiator is also missing, expensive or hard to find?

again, thanks to all who replied! I nearly want to buy it just to be one of the gang here! ha ha

Chris

Posted on: 2017/3/21 7:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Eaton
See User information
The seller is reporting that the S/N on the registration is E3667. Does this Jibe?

Posted on: 2017/3/21 7:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per the engine number range shown in post 2, E3667 would be a fairly early 1942 six. If that is on the paperwork it means the car was registered under the motor number rather than the number on the missing patent plate. If the engine is still original and it's number matches the paperwork then no worries about the missing Vehicle Number.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 8:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Eaton
See User information
Thanks Howard!

Is there and Packard specific way to tell if the engine has been changed?

Is there a way to tell what car that S/N that engine left the factory with?

Chris

Posted on: 2017/3/21 15:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved