Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 faded dash panel
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
The dash panel on these cars has a perforated aluminum overlay that I believe was originally gold anodized. Over time, mine has faded so the gold color is no longer prevalent.
Any suggestions on bringing it back to factory appearance?
I called a local anodizer, listed on the Internet, but they are only interested in large volume applications. Gold spray paint looks a little tacky. Gold specta chrome paint will fill up the perforations and is not acceptable.
happy

Posted on: 2017/3/26 15:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 faded dash panel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many have had them re-anodized. Try another anodizer. Often chrome and nickel platers that serve our hobby don't anodize but have a connection with a local shop that does.

Posted on: 2017/3/26 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I spoke to my local powder coating shop recently when I had a couple items done. I didn't ask him specifically about the gold but I did ask about the durability of this chrome powder coating.

He said he has coated the chrome onto motorcycles parts and they have held up better then even he thought they would.
He did say that the item has to be in very good shape as he will not coat any older items that has pitting. He does not fix pitting. The gold dashboard facings do not have pitting, they just fade. Mine is the same way. I may ask him about it next time I am in his area.

Now, if you look this up online you will find tons of info about it, most of it negative but make sure you read something recent. The technology that goes into the powder coating is always making improvements.
I'm not sure I would have my bumper powder coated but I would do lesser items in a heat beat if I can.

Posted on: 2017/3/26 16:02
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you can't find someone to anodize just that single item I used a transparent glass stain on my 56 some 30 years ago. Glass stain is a clear but tinted lacquer like material which allowed all the fine detailing or patterning of the aluminum to show thru.

While the dash was apart, I used an amber color, thinned it a bit and applied in several coats using an air brush to get the shade I wanted. The brand I used and that exact color doesn't seem to be available now so to get the right gold shade today it might take some experimenting using yellow or orange and thinning or tinting it with another shade. I tried to make mine match unfaded areas I found under some of the chrome pieces.

IMO, the dash still looks decent today although it doesn't see much sunlight so hasn't had a chance to fade. Can't really show a true photo of the rich color because the flash distorts it.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.04 KB)
209_58d833d786485.jpg 1280X808 px

Posted on: 2017/3/26 16:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Wow! Now that's one very nicely padded 1956 dash. I've seen so many in recent years sagging and drooping down over the radio. VERY nice! My compliments!

Posted on: 2017/3/26 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
I like it! and its something I can try. Have done some faux finishing in the past and like to "experiment" Thanks!

happy

Posted on: 2017/3/26 19:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved