Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: My golden anniversary
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Welcome to the world of Packards and good luck with your 50th Anniversary model!

Posted on: 2017/3/27 16:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Welcome, nice to know that 50th Anniversary '49 has a good owner. Is it the same one for sale in the Car Corral at Hershey last year? Here are couple pictures of it back then if so.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (66.53 KB)
409_58d98eb86fb9f.jpg 1024X637 px

jpg  (89.09 KB)
409_58d98f380c280.jpg 1024X637 px

Posted on: 2017/3/27 17:08
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
I?m quite shure, that this was my car... the dealer also offered a copper TR6 and a white Jensen-Healey...

this blogg comented it too

http://barnfinds.com/golden-beauty-1949-50th-annivesary-packard/

I cannot understand why nobody bought it, there is a lot of patina, but the overall condition is astoninglishly well preserved for a car being 68 years old.

Posted on: 2017/3/27 23:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Elefant

It's definitely the same car, I thought it looked to be particularly nicely preserved and ran very quietly. As to why it didn't sell there, like most every car there it had a high price on it, Plus, the Free-Flow Style Packards seem to be in long supply here but low demand, they're badly overlooked by collectors. Congratulation, you bought a very nice, special car, good luck with it.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/3/28 7:37
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always liked the 1948-50 Packard cars.....

Posted on: 2017/3/28 8:08
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
my motivation was to find a car with an inline eight, in Europe they are extremely rare and unknown, but I was in love with the airplane sound. After searching the web for some Buick, Hudson and even testdriving a REO-Royale, I discovered the aerodynamik Packard-Style being the best match to the aeroplane engine. At first I was interested in the club sedan coup?, but the 49 Coup I discovered in Germany was in a very sad condition. Thinking about how to restore it, I surfed arround looking for an interesting color (nearly all my collector-cars do have special colors) and I stumbled across the rare 49 gold edition. Next step was the discovery of the one I bought, I think it is better to keep an original golden one than to create a lookalike with a lot of work.

Posted on: 2017/3/28 14:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Welcome and it looks like you got yourself a Very Nice Packard.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/3/28 14:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Elefant,
Looking at the field shot of ALL the 50 anniversary cars, is the car in the middle...your car?

Posted on: 2017/3/28 14:52
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
Hi there,

playing arround a little I discovered one of the curious switches under the dash (with the ugly green cable) is for the reversing lights. Though with "PACKARD" on the bezel, they are shurely fitted later. I discovered a pic with the original reversing-light switch sitting on a console at the lower end of the steering column. Does any one have a drawing with the dimensions of this console?

second little question: the next of the switches is the vacuum switch for the antenna... pushing or pulling changes the noise of the engine or vacuum pump, but does not move the antenna wich has a rather seized teleskop. Is there any hope to find a new telskop for such an antenna?

the switch facing downward is for reset the mile-counter and the last??? with the missing knob? does anyone know?

thank you for any comments
Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (217.63 KB)
151586_58e144aa76f40.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/4/2 13:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't tell which item you are referring to as having a missing knob. The antenna valve and speedo reset are stock items but the next item over with the glare and the next item with black bracket and maybe a red light?? are not stock nor do I believe, Packard items.

Here is a photo of the reverse light switch bracket but I don't have precise dimensions. It is made of fairly thick metal -- probably around 2.5mm -- and needs to position the switch plunger over the bottom shift lever to that when car is in reverse the plunger is pushed into the switch. The bracket width is the same as the gearshaft mounting bracket and as you can see, bent up at 90 degrees. The bend on top is about 1 inch or 2.5cm on one side and the other end is longer at about 1 1/2 inches or 3.8cm so when it is bent in the opposite 90 it places the switch at an angle so the lever can move full travel yet still have the switch perpendicular. The hole is 1 1/2 inches or 3.8cm from the top bend and about 1/2 inch or 1.3cm up from the long end of the bracket. Except for the mounting bolt spacing, none of the dimensions are terribly critical as long as the lever is able to operate the plunger.

On the antenna, I seriously doubt you will find a new mast assy. Many have been looking for them as well as looking for complete vacuum antennas themselves. If you do find one be prepared for sticker shock.

If you have a complete antenna now, the best bet is to repair what you have. My antenna was inopertive and aside from the vacuum portion which was not functional, the sections were stuck too and did not telescope. I was able to use penetrating fluid, gentle persuasion, a little heat and mostly patience to free the two telescoping tubes. The vacuum portion was rebuilt.

Here are a couple of photos of the 47 version of the antenna. Yours is almost identical except the neck thru the fender and top nut are smaller. I believe the basic vacuum portion is of the same construction but maybe has a different diameter along with the smaller neck. The largest moving section has a piston with two leather cups at the bottom. My originals were rotten and seriously damaged but I could not find new modern leather or even rubber cups in the proper size. If you have access to metric brake parts maybe a pair of those rubber cups could substitute but US sizes were not close enough. While a cup shape would be better, I wound up turning a piece of Delrin on the lathe to make a support for wrapping a leather cord around it to make a new piston to size.

There is also a rubber seal at the top. That is two formed rubber discs and as far as I can tell are special items and also not available. I retrofitted a modern neoprene seal but had to do a bit of custom work to make it fit. Not knowing if yours is the same because of the narrower neck, I don't know if the seal I used will work.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.71 KB)
209_58e1508be1f45.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (22.96 KB)
209_58e15098853a1.jpg 761X258 px

jpg  (90.26 KB)
209_58e150a36d647.jpg 1280X1024 px

jpg  (65.23 KB)
209_58e150af1391d.jpg 1280X700 px

jpg  (32.92 KB)
209_58e150be49bf8.jpg 1042X486 px

jpg  (63.61 KB)
209_58e150cadeb2d.jpg 1280X869 px

jpg  (98.97 KB)
209_58e151197ade6.jpg 1200X1031 px

Posted on: 2017/4/2 14:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved