Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Reccomended tires for a 1956 Four Hundred?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi guys:

Long time, no post. I changed tires a few years ago to my 1956 Four Hundred and did a mistake and went with a smaller size. I am ready to correct it and purchase a 'correct' set.

Can any of you shed some light as to what is the tire size I should look for? I mean both tire size and white wall width.

Also, is there a radial equivalent that would really play the trick and have the original look (size and whitewall)

Thanks,
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (186.65 KB)
1141_58da85fd58b5f.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2017/3/28 10:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Reccomended tires for a 1956 Four Hundred?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several have gone with the Diamond Back II wide whitewall 235-75R15 radials which is the closest to the original tire in a modern metric size. Those have the typical fat sidewall radial profilehttp://www.dbtires.com/store/shoptire.cfm?size=15.00

Coker has a radial with the narrower profile more of a bias tire look of the original Packard size but I don't recall anyone mentioning if they have tried themhttps://www.cokertire.com/american-classic-800r15-3-1-4-inch-whitewall.html

Posted on: 2017/3/28 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard gives good advice. I use Diamondbacks now. I did have Cokers a long time ago but they wouldn't stand behind their warranty.
To clean whitewalls use Mr.Clean Magic Eraser Cleaning Sponge.
No chemicals - no residue. I didn't discover it - my daughter told me.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.55 KB)
23_58da9a373a560.jpg 1598X1096 px

Posted on: 2017/3/28 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Howard, Randy: Thanks!

What about going bias ply? I have nothing against them, and I think that though they are certainly less of a good driver tire, it would be more of a similar feeling to what the cars felt when new, wouldn't it?

What about the whitewall band width? Is it known what was used originally? Or is there a reccomended width to get?

Thanks again,
Victor

Posted on: 2017/3/28 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I have been using the American Classic radials on my Caribbean as well as my other old cars for over a decade. The new Coker with the side profile that looks like a bias ply might be an attractive choice for appearances.
I do not know what you plan to do with your car but if you plan to drive it with regularity and not just trailer it to shows, go with a radial.
Aside from lasting much longer than the bias tires for essentially the same money, there is no comparison when it comes to handling on the open road.
All you need for proof is to run into a section of highway with grooved pavement with bias ply tires ....particularly on a steep down grade in the rain to appreciate the difference. The underwear I was wearing were trash binned.
I know that purists will cringe, but I also eliminate the conventional headlights for halogens, install gas filled shocks, Petronix ignitions....and hide an MP3 player somewhere in the car.
There are enough antiquated parts ....like single cylinder BTV brakes and sloppy steering to make extended drives in old cars " exciting" without dealing with old technology that is easily restored to original for anyone who insists on purity. The lights and radials are the best upgrade.

Posted on: 2017/3/28 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to the width of the whitewall I believe there was more or less consensus in another thread not too long ago that there was no set size. It varied by tire manufacturer, by model of tire and by size of the tire.

Looking at a few artist illustrations of 47 cars from the sales brochures it appeared those whitewalls covered approximately half the tire wall. Looking at a few sales brochures of 56 models might give you some ideas of what styling thought was appropriate but overall it depends on what you like.

Diamond Backs have one size which about fits that half wall description. They also offer an extra wide wall which covers a bit more of the sidewall. Randy would have to confirm but it almost looks like his may be the extra wide. Cokers radial offering is 3 1/4 and to me they are both quite pleasing.

Posted on: 2017/3/28 22:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The attractiveness of the Diamondbacks over others is that they are modern tires from major manufactures with all the advantages of materials and construction that are offered to the public for their daily transportation needs.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/3/28 22:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've had both bias ply and radials on my 56 Caribbean. I'll certainly give a nod to improved handling with the radials, but not by a large margin - handling with the bias ply was more than adequate and a pleasant driving experience with a front end in good condition and properly aligned. As to tire life, sure the radials will give more tread life but with limited miles that some collector cars are driven, bias will generally outlast them before physical deterioration rather than tread life dictates replacement.

1956 was just on the very cusp of the introduction of narrow whitewall widths - there is a well-known photo of 56 Packards in a Kansas City showroom, the 400 in front has narrow whitewalls. So that would legitimatize narrow whites on a 56, but I think it doesn't present well and I'd go for the more traditional width shown in photos of the era.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.39 KB)
177_58db2b1e182c5.jpg 1022X819 px

Posted on: 2017/3/28 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I've had both bias ply and radials on my 56 Caribbean. I'll certainly give a nod to improved handling with the radials, but not by a large margin - handling with the bias ply was more than adequate and a pleasant driving experience with a front end in good condition and properly aligned. As to tire life, sure the radials will give more tread life but with limited miles that some collector cars are driven, bias will generally outlast them before physical deterioration rather than tread life dictates replacement.

1956 was just on the very cusp of the introduction of narrow whitewall widths - there is a well-known photo of 56 Packards in a Kansas City showroom, the 400 in front has narrow whitewalls. So that would legitimatize narrow whites on a 56, but I think it doesn't present well and I'd go for the more traditional width shown in photos of the era.

Won't touch the issue of bias vs. radial on old vintage cars that were never engineered to take advantage of the very features that radials offer. After all, I still remember similar talk about "earth shoes" back in the 1970s. Remember those? They were supposed to be better too. I went right out and bought a pair back then. And... anyway.

However, the photo Owen has posted here is interesting for more than just the narrow-line whitewalls on the Four Hundred in the foreground. Take a look at the Caribbean convertible on the left. And... while you are at it... take a look at the backs of the seats in this Caribbean. If you look very, very closely, you will see the horizontal ribbed aluminum "robe rails" on the seat backs. These were on at least the first prototype and pilot-production 1956 Caribbeans. I rode in the prototype when new and remember them well. The rails were deleted from regular production 1956 Caribbeans for two reasons:

1.) They presented a safety hazard to anyone falling forward from the rear seat on a hard stop. Safety and secondary impact was becoming an issue for the industry by 1956. Packard offered seatbealts and padded dash/I.P. tops. Ford had a huge safety program that year.

2.) They added a slight bit of extra weight and helped to allow the seat backrests to flip forward on hard stops. A service bulletin was issued on this problem with a retrofit remedy kit that included a ball-end stud striker and spring catch retainer.

The Packard Predictor was also displayed at shows with narrow whitewalls installed... this after initially being photographed with wide whites. Either way, by 1955 the huge "sugar donut" whitewalls were considered very passe and the whitewalls shown on the rest of the Packards in this photo are about as wide as a whitewall for these cars ought to go.

There were a few press releases and press photos as of 1954-55 regarding whitewall widths from the American tire companies. I have some of these photos and explanations. The widths began the shrink in the early 1950s-some even disappeared completely for a brief time during the Korean War. After that the widths never went back to the extra-wide sizes.

Posted on: 2017/3/29 0:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another view showing the narrow line whitewall tires on factory-new 1956 Packards. IMO the cars are more attractive with the traditional width whitewalls, but these pictures should eliminate the possibility of any point deductions in judging for the use of the narrow whitewalls.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.27 KB)
177_58dbc8b2d526a.jpg 1022X808 px

Posted on: 2017/3/29 9:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved