Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 Packard 640 hood hinge needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

BenhaseRestorations
See User information
Looking for both the center hinge (complete) and the secondary hinge rods for a 1929 640 Roadster. If any are available, please contact us at dave@benhasecarrestorations.com. Thanks!

--Dave Waldorf, Parts Manager
Benhase Restorations

Posted on: 2017/4/6 13:15
 Top  Print 

Re: 1929 Packard 640 hood hinge needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

BenhaseRestorations
See User information
I am still looking for a center hood hinge. I do not expect an original by any means, but something that will function and look presentable. I can't seem to find a continuous hinge narrow enough that also has a center pin that is of sufficient diameter.

I expect to have to buy an equivalent of some kind and cut it down to size. Normal suppliers (Grainger, et al) have plenty of hinges, but all have center pins much too small to work.

Can anyone suggest a source/procedure to buy or fabricate one?

Posted on: 2017/5/17 9:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2017/5/17 18:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The hinges on my '32's sun visors were beyond saving and I replace them with a similar looking one. I'm not at home right now and won't be for another 8 or so days.

As best as I remember I made new ones from a piano hinge I bought that came in either 3 or 6 foot lengths with either a .25 or .18 diameter pin, a leaf width of 7/8", and a knuckle length of 5/8". I don't recall the thickness of the steel, but it was not very thick maybe 0.06" to 0.08". If the leaf width is to great, I would think it would be an easy job to have it sheared to a narrower width.

Maybe someone out there could post a closeup of the hinge.

If this sounds like something that would work, let me know and I'll see if I can can figure out where I got it. They had a great selection of hinges.

Posted on: 2017/5/18 11:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
McMaster-Carr has hinges that seem to fit the description Marston is mentioning with 3/16" pins. They refer to those as heavy duty. There is a fair range of sizes with other dimeter pins too and in varying lengths so maybe something could be found that would work.https://www.mcmaster.com/#piano-hinges/=17okdk0

Posted on: 2017/5/18 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
What is the hinge length (hood length) of your car?

Posted on: 2017/5/18 15:49
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

BenhaseRestorations
See User information
32model901's contacts came up good for use. Guden had a 72" hinge (we needed at least 47") that fit the bill almost perfectly. The knuckle length is longer that the original, but with a machinable 3/8" pin and only a 1 inch leaf width (which can be reduced if needed) their hinge should work nicely.

Thanks to all that helped. It was greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2017/5/19 7:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved