Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Six Steering Wheel upper Bearing
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Working on my 1939 Packard 6 and had to remove the steering wheel. I noticed the wheel was loose in the housing. Digging further, the bearing at the upper end of the tube is shot, race damaged and balls missing
Anyone have suggestions where to find one and associated clips? Exploded drawings / part numbers?

Thanks in advance

john

Posted on: 2017/4/12 16:25
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Six Steering Wheel upper Bearing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an illustration out of the Clipper parts book. The marked items -- spacer and oil seal -- are the same probably thru 50 but the spring and bearing is different for 39 sixes by motor number. You can check section 15 - Steering and Suspension - in the 35-41 parts book for the correct numbers and see if Kanter has any. Also send Flackmaster a PM and see if he might have the parts. If not, it will probably be parts car or a survey of the other vendors.

If the bearing race and spacer part is still in decent condition you might be able to replace the missing balls. If there is no sign of them at the bearing area or under it before the oil seal, loosen the clamp at the dash and at the steering box. Have a towel or rag under the end of the column to catch them if they fall out and pull the column up and away from the steering box slightly to see if the missing balls might have fallen down and are resting on the collar at the top of steering box. If some are missing, measure your originals and see if McMaster-Carr has new balls in that size. If so, you can buy them by the package for a few dollars.

I believe the reason they go missing is either the spring under the steering wheel is missing completely or something is out of position so the spacer which is actually part of the inner race is not being kept in position.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.98 KB)
209_58eea286ea965.jpg 812X550 px

Posted on: 2017/4/12 16:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thank You !

Still trying to understand the group number versus part numbers. On the drawing you provided, it appears to be pointing to group numbers, correct?

Spring is present and is a hefty one. Appears the retaining clip wire is damaged, never saw anything like it before

I will keep the post posted

John

Posted on: 2017/4/12 17:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is correct on the group numbers. Almost all Packard parts illustrations use group numbers as a means of general reference. You then go to the appropriate section in the parts book and find that number and determine the actual part number by whatever criteria it needs -- model, body, chassis, date or VN or Motor number are a few of them.

For your 1700 six you would need to check the motor number and find out if you need the first item which is for the 120-16th series & early 1700. If the motor number is after the one given then you would need the second number listed.

The same motions would apply to any other part you might need.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.63 KB)
209_58eeaa6068562.jpg 874X326 px

Posted on: 2017/4/12 17:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks for the help. Max Merritt had the bearing and seal for this late model 39.

Next and hopefully last obstacle is the threads on the steering shaft for the nut holding the wheel to the shaft. Over the year, severely damaged threads, not certain there is enough threads to tighten the nut. I plan on drilling the shaft, installing & JB welding a heli coil and then putting a bolt in with shims/washers to hold the wheel. The bolt will be through drilled for the horn wire. Anyone else experience this issue?

FYI, problems all started when I decided to refinish the dash board using the same process and colors Packard pioneered.

Posted on: 2017/4/21 11:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the exterior threads cannot be saved by using a thread repair file or even rethreading, not sure I would trust JB Weld alone in that application. Other than no brakes not much else gets the blood flowing like having a steering wheel come off in your hands as you're going down the road.

Any way to thread the inside of the shaft directly and use a bolt without a helicoil? If no standard US size would work what about metric? If it does come down to needing a helicoil type fix, I think I would use a sleeve type insert rather than a coiled wire type and maybe add a couple of pins thru the shaft and partially into the insert just to have something mechanically solid with more grab along with the JB Weld.

Posted on: 2017/4/21 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Expansion bolt?

Posted on: 2017/4/21 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have fixed bad threads on shafts. I used a thread die. I loosened the set screws and placed the die upside down on the shaft threads as far down as I could go. Then, I tightened the set screws and unscrewed the die. It works in some situations. If you have room, it might work to place another nut on top of the existing one to act as a lock nut. Good luck. JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/21 14:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I was able to clean up a few threads, switched to a thinner washer and have ~5 good threads.

Lots of time on my hands, walking around the car tonight and looked at the license plate light. It is clear glass with PACKARD in raised letters. Anyone know if the letters were originally painted or was the whole thing clear?

I have a lot of people driving up staring and squinting trying to make out the PACKARD on the light. Only when the car is stopped and you see the Packard on the hub caps do people know what it is

BTW, highly recommend the woodgraining kits available, using the same process Packard pioneered to paint there dashes. Intimidating, but reasonably easy to use. Just finished all the window trim, gauge panel, glove box door and main dashboard. During the stripping, found a small section under the chrome of the original color and grain. The match is very close

Posted on: 2017/4/21 23:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The PACKARD letters on the license lamp lens were originally painted silver. Very shiny silver, and not overdone, just the face of the raised letters. My suggestion would be to try some Chrome Paint. The INSIDE of the lens also is painted silver, only so far as you can see, hopefully.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.95 KB)
439_58fbccced94c8.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/4/22 16:05
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved