Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What could I get for 30 yr old tires? Remmington
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I'm about to buy new American Classics for my 53 Clipper and someone said to sell the ones on there now. I have no idea what to ask for them. They look really good L78-15 Poly, great tread and 3 1/4 " WW. But! They are 30 years old! I wouldn't drive on them myself, only use to roll a car or store it or show it. I think they are rather dangerous being that old. Any ideas what to ask for them? Someone out there would buy them. I am in Long Beach, CA and can't see gong to the trouble of shipping them.

Posted on: 2017/4/14 23:29
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Re: What could I get for 30 yr old tires? Remmington
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
you get injured and sued

Posted on: 2017/4/15 0:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Second that. I wouldn't run old tires either and believe in California you will be hard pressed to find any of the major chain tire stores that would remount tires that old. When I bought new tires for the daily driver I tried to have the old ones less than half that age remounted for use as roll arounds for the 47. They would not do it. Said it was against company policy to enable reuse of old tires -- forget how many years old was the cutoff -- and I would have to do it myself or check some independent stores and see if I could find one that would. Another chain said about the same thing.

Posted on: 2017/4/15 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You can give them to the tire shop that mounts your new tires and they will dispose of them. Seems a shame I know, until the new owner's lawyer calls.

Posted on: 2017/4/15 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Yes you are right.

Posted on: 2017/4/18 9:38
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
If you sell them YOU could get 30 years

Posted on: 2017/4/18 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I sold a full set of 30-year old tires mounted on original wheels to a buyer who was restoring another Avanti. He wanted them to use on the chassis to be able to roll it around. The tires had very few miles on them and had not been exposed to sunlight except when on the road. His plan was to then remove the old tires, restore the wheels and use them, with new tires, on his completed project. He ended up not using them for roll around chores, but soon after getting them home had the wheels restored. He said that while the outside of the tires look good, they were starting to come apart inside. They were a safety hazard. JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/18 16:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved