Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Ultramatic Hard Shifting into Reverse
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have a NOS differential, complete, that you would be welcome to for shipping and whatever donation to this website you would see fit to make.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
One other bit of info:

I haven't noticed any rear end whine or anything. I know in general what that sounds like because I had to replace my Toyota Tacoma differential after 250,000 miles. The Cavalier doesn't make any notable noise, at least from the vantagepoint of the passenger compartment.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thanks, I just sent you a PM!

Will keep y'all posted.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I don't know if this will be of any help, but I found this in Popular Science, June 1949.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (92.81 KB)
1003_592061b75204e.jpg 573X845 px

jpg  (75.86 KB)
1003_592061ce04e99.jpg 569X845 px

jpg  (89.67 KB)
1003_592061ddc7917.jpg 573X855 px

jpg  (96.14 KB)
1003_592061eec75ae.jpg 573X851 px

jpg  (92.73 KB)
1003_592061f9ee0ca.jpg 577X841 px

Posted on: 2017/5/20 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Thanks for the thanks but I don't think that the 10 degree lash in your rear axle is the cause of the rough shift from fwd to reverse. It is well below what I have experienced in smooth shifting cars. Also, the rear axle is not affected by warming up and getting looser, it is a pure mechanical connection.

My guess is it's in the trans which can be affected by temperature. Some operating seals in the reverse piston servo are rubber.

good luck.

Posted on: 2017/5/20 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Just an update:

Planning on:

1) Checking the idle speed. The mechanic who got the thing resuscitated may have set the idle speed a bit high. I am looking for an appropriate Digital Multi-meter with an RPM setting. There are a few out there, I probably will go with the Bosch-Actron CP7677.

2) Complete system flush (and replace transmission pan gasket), replacing with Dextron III. I have been thinking about possibly replacing the low-range and reverse piston seals at the same time. It appears I could do that with the transmission still in the car, but I would need the Packard tool PU-308. Is that available or easy to make?

I think the right thing is to do these two things first, out of due diligence. The transmission otherwise operates well - I am loathe (both from the standpoint of not fixing something that is not broken, and from the $$ standpoint) of trying to get the transmission completely overhauled. Some of the problem may also be the differential, but as Fred says, if it operates satisfactorily when the transmission fluid is cold, it may be something else.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 1:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Why the expense? Just grab a screwdriver and turn the idle down. That is only about an 8 second investment of your time. The only difficulty is that on a 4 bbl carb the idle speed screw points straight to the rear right next to the exhaust manifold. Awkward. In fact I usually use a small (1/4"??) open end wrench to turn it.

The fluid change is a good idea as are new servo seals; that saves a lot of pressure loss in the trans. Have never used the Packard tool in the three dozen or so of those trans I have built. The key to not loosing your band struts during this operation is to remove the servo covers and pistons but do not remove the valve body.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 7:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
On transmission fluid, is it better to use the F type with original bands and the Dextron with the new replacement bands? Or does it matter?

John

Posted on: 2017/5/31 11:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm using Type F with a recent rebuild by Ross with modern friction surfaces. Although some certainly may prefer a softer shift, I prefer snappier lockup, minimizing slip time. Frankly, in the long run the work quality and comprehensiveness of the rebuild and at least equally importantly the driver's habits no doubt have far more to do with transmission longevity than fluid choice.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
So with some experimentation, I was able to get the idle speed set to a point that it's not too slow but the transmission doesn't "clunk". It's still "solid" but not to the point of alarm.

Still working on everything else, of course

Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 22:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved