Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 22 »

Re: TrevorK's 1955 Packard Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a decent air compressor an air chisel is not too expensive and should work well. If no air, then more expensive but an electric die grinder with an aggressive burr or even a cutoff wheel if there is room are also options. If power is not an option then the old fashioned hammer, cold chisel and a few choice words when the chisel moves or you hit it off center and send it flying should do it.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Maybe buy a couple of universal tailpipe hangers from your favorite auto parts store instead of using an old tire for the exhaust pipe hanger-clamp. You can use the rubber parts from these hangers. Just a suggestion...

Posted on: 2019/7/17 11:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
*facepalm* of course!

Posted on: 2019/7/17 12:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Regarding suspension bushings; if I wanted to apply Mr Heinmuller's kit of new/upgraded bushings is this something that would risk accidentally (or even purposefully) unloading the torsion bars? I'm trying to figure if this is something that I, as a relative noob, can accomplish on my own or if it is best left to a shop.

Posted on: 2019/7/22 8:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In doing the front you do need to hold the bars but not unload them. There is a tool to hold the front and Dwight has the tool for sale or you can rent one from him. Without the tool you can use chains but it makes the job more difficult with having the chains wrapped around things while you are removing the A arms.

The rears are more of a problem. Most rear bushings can be changed without doing much of anything but IMO, for safety and an easier time getting things back together the rear load arms should be held while the front bushings on the support or torque arms are replaced but there is no small rear holding tool -- just the huge unloading tool and those are not readily available. The rear load arms are captured in a slot in the frame and with a controlled release and maybe a little extra something to ensure the support arms do not spread when the front bushing is loosened they really cannot go too far so care and caution would be the best on the rears.

I notice Dwight sends a DVD with the kit but no idea what it shows. It might have some recommendations or show how to do the job or hold the bars without the tool and do the job safely. Maybe worth a call or email him and ask or possibly Ross can offer some procedures and suggestions.

Posted on: 2019/7/22 8:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Dumb question - should I be using a heavier weight oil in the summer, temperatures almost never below the 90s.

After I changed my oil this spring the ticking I was hearing went away, but as soon as the temperatures shot up it is always there now. I'm wondering if the heat is just causing the oil to thin out too much.

Posted on: 2019/7/28 11:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You don't say what oil you're presently using and I don't know what your winter temperatures are, and if you use the car year-round. A 10W-40 might be a good choice for your climate for year-round use, you might also consider one of the 15W-40 light truck oils.

Posted on: 2019/7/28 13:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Sorry currently using 20w50, winter temps usually hover just about freezing an I only occasionally drive it in winter. Mostly driving in spring and autumn or summer nights because it's so damned hot lol

Posted on: 2019/7/28 18:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ah, you edited your post. You're already about maxed out on viscosity.

Posted on: 2019/7/29 13:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Well...guess I should replace the lifters. The service manual outlines a very extensive process, but I was considering just removing the valve covers and getting at the lifters with a remover tool. Any reasons I shouldn't go this method?

Posted on: 2019/7/29 14:20
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved