Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 85

BigKev, QMopar, HH56, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Strong Gasoline Smell Filling Garage!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
I am away on a business trip and my wife reports a powerful gasoline smell filling the garage where we keep the '41 110. This happened once before, shortly after sending the gas tank out to a radiator shop for cleaning and turned out to be a crack where the filler neck joins the tank. The shop brazed it and it has been fine for over a year.

What's the best way to diagnose where it's coming from without the nightmare of draining and dropping the tank again? In the case of the first time this happened, it was immediately apparent the first time I filled the tank after getting it back but what could cause a car that has been sitting for the past 2 to 3 weeks (that was the last time it was driven) to suddenly fill the garage with gas fumes over night?

Thanks!!

Posted on: 2017/5/14 22:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Strong Gasoline Smell Filling Garage!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the smell is that strong I would think there would be a good possibility a damp spot on the floor or in the engine compt could be seen. It might be the tank again or perhaps something happened to a rubber hose or a fitting. If it is going to be awhile before you get home perhaps your wife or a friend could look things over and see if there is something obvious needing immediate attention.

If nothing is seen I wonder if applying a small amount of air pressure into the fill opening would result in the leak becoming evident without dropping the tank first.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 22:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
She says there is no visible sign of gas under the car.

Could it be something as simple as the rubber seal on the gas cap (hopefully!) and, if so, what is a logical way of proceeding with troubleshooting?

Posted on: 2017/5/14 22:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How about anything visible in the engine compt around the pump or carb?

It could be a loose gas cap. Another question is how has the temperature been -- any sudden changes that would cause the gas to expand. The cap is vented so there is a possibility a change in temp caused the fumes - even more so if the tank is full. For the fill gasket to have failed it would seem that there would be a big split or missing chunk visible if the cap was taken off.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 22:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thank you, will investigate those areas when I get home!

Posted on: 2017/5/15 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...If you have a window in the garage that can be opened, it might be a good idea to leave it open until the source of the smell is discovered. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/5/15 21:45
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I too am suffering the effects of a woman with a sensitive nose. My added question for this topic is to ask what the best thread sealant is for fuel line connections? Teflon tape or some other snake oil lubricant...??

Posted on: 2017/5/16 9:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Teflon tape is not a good choice for fuel lines as often a sliver of it on the inside of the fitting comes free and plugs up things like fuel pump valves and carburetor needles and seats. With good fittings and proper technique, no sealant should be required on fuel lines.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sometimes you do need a sealant like on my 47 Packard, where the line connects to a fitting that screwed into the tank and I'm using a Sealant to with stand Ethanol. See pictures below.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (175.29 KB)
1003_591b0d6fc75cd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (181.45 KB)
1003_591b0d7d9b2b3.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/5/16 9:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wesley, I assume you needed a sealant because you could not restore the original mechanical integrity of the fittings to the tank, no sealant was used on the car as built.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 11:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved