Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Temperature sensor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M. Heinzen
See User information
Hi Folks,

I'm searching the temperature sensor on my 352 cui engine. Look at the photo, I've marked the position with an arrow. Is it there right?

Matthias

Attach file:

jpg  (156.30 KB)
61127_591943eacb6c5.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/5/15 1:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Temperature sensor
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I do not think that it is it. The temperature sensor is at the rear of the left hand cylinder head and points to the rear of the car. It is hex shaped, has a small threaded connection where the wire is held on with a small nut about 3/8". It does not go into the head directly but goes into an adapter/bracket which is attached tot eh head with 2 bolts with about 1/2" or 9/16" heads. Put your hand on the rear of the head and you can feel it.

Your photo is not clear, looks like it points to the side of the RH head.

PS. Rear of LH head, don't know my right from my left

Posted on: 2017/5/15 5:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the arrow is pointing to a condenser which was most likely added for radio noise suppression. Frequently those are added at the ign switch but they might have chosen to do it at the coil since it is an easier spot to access. There is probably another one on the generator.

Here is a photo of the temp sensor and bracket Fred described but it is on the rear of the left head. The water outlet for the heater is in the same spot on the right or passenger side head. A tight fit but you can get a wrench on to unscrew the sensor from the bracket.

If for some reason you do need to take the entire bracket off you will need a new gasket. Easy to make out of gasket paper or if you have a partial engine gasket set they are usually included. It is a common shape so maybe even available at a parts store.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.27 KB)
209_5919ad975b474.jpg 860X768 px

Posted on: 2017/5/15 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M. Heinzen
See User information
Fred + Howard

thank your both for response. I will have a look and check the wire, because the temperature gauge doesn't work ....

Posted on: 2017/5/16 6:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Ground the wire and the gauge should go to hot, if not it is the gauge that is bad

Posted on: 2017/5/16 8:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
I'm having a similar issue with my temp gauge. How do I growing the wire from the temp sending unit; sorry for the newbie-ish question.

Posted on: 2017/8/4 14:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To test the gauge by grounding the sender wire, with the key on just use a short piece of wire and touch one end to a good clean piece of metal on the engine or body and the other end to the wire and terminal connected to the end of the sender. The gauge should immediately start to move to the hot side.

If needle moves the gauge is OK so don't keep the sender wire grounded any longer than it takes for the needle to move very far.. If the needle does not move check the wire to make sure it is hooked up at the gauge end. If you have an ohmmeter you can check for any breaks in the wire but if that checks OK then the gauge is most likely at fault.. If more than one gauge is not operating the instrument voltage regulator on the back of the cluster would be suspect.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.90 KB)
209_5984c822044a0.jpg 546X266 px

Posted on: 2017/8/4 14:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
Thank you for the help. The temp gauge works when grounding the sensor. However, I think the sensor may be bad, as the temp gauge need never moves away from the "C". Should it remain on the "C" while driving?

Posted on: 2017/8/4 16:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Typically the needles are somewhere around half way during normal driving. A slow moving car or if under load and it may climb to 3/4.

You might try a TS 6464 sender from Napa. I haven't used one but several have and say they fit and read correctly. When you install it make sure it has a good ground connection between the threads and the head or mounting plate. If you need to use teflon tape or a sealant use it sparingly so the sender threads can cut thru and make good electrical contact.

If you have a V8 I don't know if there is enough clearance to the firewall to replace it with the combo mounting plate and linkage bracket still on the engine. The plate is held with two bolts and comes off easily enough but if you remove the plate you will also need to have or make a new gasket. Scraping and getting all the remnants of the old gasket off the head in that tight space may be the bigger challenge.

Posted on: 2017/8/4 16:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

add dual temp gauges / dual station temperature sender / 359 L8
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard,

I would like to add a Westach temp gauge to my 54 359 L8. Is it possible to attach 2 gauges (keep dash gauge & add Westach gauge) to the single sender from the block without any repercussions? Stewart Warner has dual gauge / dual station temp senders for marine applications. What makes a temp sender compatible for 2 gauges? the washer between the 2 eyelets? it can't be that easy no?

Attach file:

jpg  (18.73 KB)
201206_5ef4cd8a01c6a.jpg 247X279 px

jpg  (14.97 KB)
201206_5ef4cd9b0f1f1.jpg 248X230 px

jpg  (24.77 KB)
201206_5ef4cdaeab897.jpg 814X289 px

jpg  (11.31 KB)
201206_5ef4cdbf04cee.jpg 265X116 px

Posted on: 2020/6/25 11:16
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved