Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hydralic lifter noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
My '52 has hydralic lifters. When I get up to max temp - usually takes about an hour, I get a very noticable ticking, which I think is a lifter. After just a few minutes of cooling, the noise is gone and returns when I finally again get the engine fully heated. Noticable at idle, once I get any RPMs, it gets lost in the mix.

I didn't realize I had hydralic lifters until I pulled the valve cover to adjust them.

Everything is quite clean behind the covers, and I believe the engine might have been gone through in the past few years before I got the car.

I am hoping that I have a lifter that is gunked up and there is a way to clear it short of pulling the lifters out and testing/rebuilding them. We used to use a high detergent oil that would often help unstick a lifter - I can't remember what it was called and don't know if it is available today.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would really be appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 0:31
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print 

Re: Hydralic lifter noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi 41 Touring

An old-time mechanic here swore by four quarts of oil and a quart of automatic transmission fluid to quiet noisy lifters. It's a great lubricant and detergent enough to clear small passages. I've used it in tired engines over the years with success.

Others will have good advice to follow too.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/5/16 8:08
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Rislone will clean out an engine? John

Posted on: 2017/5/16 8:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Years back the two most popular snake oils for noise lifters were Alemite CD-2 and Shaler's Rislone. Whether either ever actually performed as promised is open to debate.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 9:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious why only when hot. I think I would check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge in place of the sender or maybe permanently add a hidden mechanical gauge setup in parallel as a backup. There are ports on the main gallery on passenger side of engine where this could be done and the sensing tube run somewhere so the gauge is tucked out of sight.

The oil pressure is spec'd at around 40psi at normal driving speed but is considerably lower at idle. Maybe something is worn or the oil is the wrong weight and when hot, is thinning so much that the noisy lifter is a symptom of another problem coming to light.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, so curious on oil pressure. Bypass oil filter setup? Restrictor could be missing. If pressure is low, then you could shim the oil pressure relief spring in the pump.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 9:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
FI believe all '52's came equipped with a bypass filter. If the restrictor were missing it would show lifter problems well before an hour's running on the road. From my experience it seems like the one lifter is leaking a bit and when hot and the oil is thin it ticks.

Change the oil and filter, try a multi-vis oil od a heavier weight, 10W- 40??

If that doesn't fix it replace the bad lifter

Posted on: 2017/5/16 11:49
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fred, oil filters were still an option then. Also, you never know what changes a previous owner made. My '54 actually has a prewar oil filter on it and was not plumbed in by-pass configuration when I got it.

Here is a snippet from the Accessories section of the Parts List.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.04 KB)
1_591b3708dd29e.jpg 710X464 px

Posted on: 2017/5/16 12:30
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, with the Southern Calif heat (I noticed your location says Irvine, CA, I lived in Riverside) I ran Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo 15-40 engine oil. When I ran thinner oil, I got a lot of blow by on hot days and a flickering oil pressure light after long freeway runs.

After using 15-40, I never had the problem again. Just my

Posted on: 2017/5/16 12:35
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
"Rislone" is the name I was looking for. I have heard the ATF solution before but never tried it.

I do have the by-pass filter.

I think you guys are right, I should run a guage at least until I get this sorted out. I can run one temporarily from the trouble light indicator.

BTW BigKev, I now live in Cambria, on Ca. central coast, where neither cars or drivers ever overheat. So, it takes a long drive to truely get the car to its max heat.

I'll try a guage and let you know what I find.

Thank you all for the advice.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 12:53
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved