Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Switching from Bias Tire to Radials
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I am switching from bias ply tires to radials on my 1947 Clipper...I bought Diamondbacks. The tires arrived, I cleaned and painted the rims, and took everything to the installer.

While we were looking at everything, I found out from the tire installer I needed valve stems for a .625 rim hole. He did not have this odd size so I lost my appointment.

I found some at NAPA which were rubber and cost $2.19 for 4. Part number 90-415.

As I had time now that installation was delayed, I opted for metal as they are more resistant to blowout and more resistant to leaking air. Found them at Amazon for a little over $8 for 4:
VTR TR-416-S 1" Outer Mount Metal Valve Stem (4 Pack).

Of course we have to buy two packs as we all carry spare tires and need 5!! A bonus is they come with their own metal cap...a savings of $3.99..

Because of my irritating experience and loss of taking the car to a club function, I wrote Diamondback and urged them to caution customers to get valve stems when they order the tires.

Just passing this on issues to be addressed when making this change over.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.31 KB)
74962_591e199e66755.jpg 400X400 px

jpg  (10.46 KB)
74962_591e1ae765692.jpg 368X520 px

Posted on: 2017/5/18 17:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Switching from Bias Tire to Radials
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bummer but I wonder about the tire store. They must not work with old cars or even trucks much. When I bought some inexpensive modern radials for the 47 from a national chain store the outlet here had no problem with supplying and putting in the correct size stems for the Packard wheels.

Posted on: 2017/5/18 17:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
This area has too much money!! Everything is up to date and so only the latest stuff that sells fast is stocked. The chain auto parts stores only stock 1 size of valve stem! Thank God for NAPA or everything would have to be ordered on line.

Posted on: 2017/5/18 21:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I just went through that a few weeks ago. The 0.625 valve stems are available here in Germany at least, but you have to really hunt for them and then pay big euros. As you found, it's easier to get them by mail from the US. -I hope mine arrive today or early next week.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 3:19
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I feel your pain!!

Posted on: 2017/5/19 6:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Going for service on a 72 year old car is not like taking in your 2000+ one. If I took my 1947 TV to be serviced no way would I expect the shop to have the tubes etc handy, same for a 1947 refrigerator. It is the car owner's responsibility to confirm that the shop has what you need.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 10:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I agree. Problem was I did not know I needed to worry about the valve stems. I am only the guy that pays for the tires.
A little nudge from Diamondback would have been appreciated as they see this all the time....I do not. But, not there responsibility I know, but still it would have been helpful....

Posted on: 2017/5/19 12:30
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Typically when you replace the tires, you usually replace the valve stems as well. Diamondback doest know what exact rims your mounting it to, only the size.

The local Goodyear that mounted my new radials had the correct valve stems in stock.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 12:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Either the .625 valve stems were never used in europe, or were phased out earlier than in the US. When I was getting my valve stems, my research showed that the large dia valve stems were used till the 70s. That could explain why tire shops in the US have them, and on this side of the pond they are scarce as hen's teeth.
Mine came in the mail today!!! So next week I can have them installed at my local tire shop.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 14:28
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Tobs.
When did tubeless tires become available in Europe???

Posted on: 2017/5/20 9:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved