Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

towing / driveshaft removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Going to look at my 1st packard Saturday. 53 patrician. Planning to use tow dolly and go slow. Could back on and tie steering wheel or head on and drop drive shaft. Opinions? Is dropping the driveshaft a big deal? Tow vehicle cant handle extra weight of full trailer.

John

Posted on: 2017/5/24 20:11
 Top  Print   

Re: towing / driveshaft removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is an interesting question. V8s with PS are not recommended to be towed on the front wheels because the weight on the front suspension with the nose down changes geometry and the stress of side to side movement can result in the pitman arm becoming damaged. If the 53 has PS, it uses very similar components to the 55-6 senior PS so this may hold true with 53-4 too. If there is PS, without the fluid pressure in the control valve there is side to side slop which may let the wheels wander a bit.

Drive shaft is the typical 4 bolt or retaining clip U joint in the rear so not that hard to disconnect and tie the shaft out of the way providing you can raise the car and get to it. You would need to make sure the parts of the U joint were kept together and couldn't come apart during the move. To remove the entire shaft, if the car has an Ultramatic it would be another 4 bolts at a flange on the end of trans.

Posted on: 2017/5/24 20:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Page 1 of section XVII (17) of the 51-54 manual gives detailed instructions on removal of the drive shaft on Ultramatic equipped vehicles. You need to remove snap-ring retainers and remove the bearings to disengage the cross from the rear yoke.

Posted on: 2017/5/24 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Drive shaft removal is only necessary when automatic trans has NO REAR pump.

Posted on: 2017/5/24 22:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How FAR do u have to tow the car??? If less than 20 miles then nothing to worry about.

Posted on: 2017/5/24 22:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd read the owner's manual to see what Packard's recommendation was for towing. A significant plus for the Ultramatic is that it has a rear pump and thus towing with the driveshaft connected will result in the rear pump providing lubrication to the transmission. At what speeds and for what distances that lubrication is adequate is the question I believe you'll find answered in the owner's manual.

Posted on: 2017/5/24 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one time I had to tow a 1953 Patrician, it was done from the rear but with the engine running. Otherwise without the power steering pump working, there was too much slop in the front wheels! Fortunately the car ran, it was not a highway trip and was at low speed! I towed it behind a 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special.

Posted on: 2017/5/24 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John,

"Going to look at my 1st packard Saturday. 53 patrician..."

I know I asked previously in Post #9, but that was back in 2011, so this reminder is just to jog the memory!

Posted on: 2017/5/24 23:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I have to go 390 miles. I dismissed driving it. The current owner has only driven 100 miles at a time max, but several years ago once.
Thinking tow dolly at 45 mph with driveshaft out. Could rent a truck and trailer too. But would need to figure out how to get there. Cleveland to philly.

John

If i buy i will add it to the registry.

Posted on: 2017/5/25 6:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Using our '56 Patrician we towed a '56 Caribbean convertible 50 miles without incident using a tow bar. The next day we retrieved a '56 Patrician that came along with the deal with a tow bar. Neither drive shaft was disconnected and it went fine. We paid $400 for both, the only thing that worked on the Carib was the horn.
solid, complete and it had 2 Offenhauser ribbed aluminum valve covers bolted on top of top of top of the hood scoops, but it did have a brand new factory engine

Total price $400, year:1963 We still have the Caribbean, we parted out the Patrician and just threw out the 4 doors we had saved. Later in college I dated Janet Offenhauser who worked on her 54 Renault, she was definately a keeper but that was not to be.

Posted on: 2017/5/25 7:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved