Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Work on the 1953 Derham Formal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I am happy to report some news on my Derham Formal. I was finally able to get things in line to get the car moved from the former owners garage across the street and into my barn last Friday. I had made the appointment over three weeks ago with the tow service to get it flat-bedded into my barn. They sent out a truck that was too big to fit between the houses and then had to send a wrecker and a smaller tilt bed. I had to remove the garage doors by popping the pins as the panel doors swung in from the end frames. The wrecker paid out the cable to get the car out of garage. It rolled free and easy and came down driveway very nicely. It was then pulled up on to the tilt bed and backed right into my space. Friday was a beautiful WNY day and I swear the Derham's grille had turned into a big smile being outdoors for the first time in 35 years (1982). Several people including both the tow car drivers told me that it was the year they were born.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.16 KB)
2260_5940a9ecd9473.jpg 489X324 px

jpg  (26.28 KB)
2260_5940a9f90b5c2.jpg 489X324 px

jpg  (27.16 KB)
2260_5940aa04d8614.jpg 489X324 px

jpg  (33.80 KB)
2260_5940aa12d1ca4.jpg 489X324 px

jpg  (40.10 KB)
2260_5940aa1de7dd2.jpg 489X324 px

jpg  (39.38 KB)
2260_5940aa2b69da6.jpg 489X324 px

jpg  (25.75 KB)
2260_5940aa35e1c98.jpg 489X324 px

Posted on: 2017/6/13 22:15
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Re: Work on the 1953 Derham Formal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Glad that everything went without incident! I will be looking forward to following your project progress!

Posted on: 2017/6/14 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
A gem to be sure

Posted on: 2017/6/14 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is that a vinyl roof on it?? John

Posted on: 2017/6/14 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I note the 1952-only hub shell cover on the front left wheel.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Awesome! I'm excited to see you bring this back to life! Such a cool car!

Posted on: 2017/6/14 16:32
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks for all the kind words and I would like to thank everyone who has been posting about their projects and cars over the last five years I have been looking at this great resource/site. It has given me a great deal of insight to Packard engineering design that will help me make intelligent (I hope) decisions and choices as I work on the car. My plan is to keep it completely original.

Unfortunately the woman I bought the car from has gone into assisted living. She is the wife of the second owner and had told me his mother was a sister to the Packard brothers. Her daughter had put a number of cartons of family documents to the curb after an estate sale so my GF called her to see if that was what she wanted done with them. Short story is there is a lot of Packard family correspondence here. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet but it looks like I will be taking a drive to Warren O to give to the Packard Museum. Found the obit from late owner's mother and I quote "James W. Packard, the inventor of the Packard automobile, was her cousin". Goes on to say that her family had a summer home on Chautauqua Lake NY where the inventor also lived. So that is finally straightened out and corrected.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 21:06
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks 55PackConv, the tow company came highly recommended, they didn't even scuff the right side white walls on curbing next to the garage door.

FredKanter Thanks very much.

PTV It is a rubberized canvas that I believe was made by Goodyear.

O_D All four covers are the same. I remember you sending me info several years ago this car was built late Nov 52, so using left over 52 parts or something else to differentiate the Formal offering for 53 from the regular Senior?

Thanks 51. Will need to finish getting my space into shape and a new chimney pipe out the roof. The old brick one came down when new roof went on barn. The plan for this year is to start soaking every nut and bolt I plan on touching with the acetone and ATF mix.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 21:30
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Stephen,

If you want to know more about the 3 Packard sisters (Alaska, Carlotta, and Olive) and their families and lives, the summer homes on Lake Chautauqua, etc., I can highly recommend Jim Balfour's recent book "More than Automobiles - The Packards of Warren, Ohio".

Attach file:

jpg  (666.58 KB)
177_594285528fd5d.jpg 1599X1681 px

Posted on: 2017/6/15 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks, looks like an interesting read. When I start looking through the letters I will post any mention of James and William.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 8:50
Stephen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved