Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

Peter Packard, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Inconsistant leveling system on '56 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
The leveling system on my '56 Clipper does not work consistently. Sometimes it will work within the 7 to 9 second delay; sometimes is takes 30+ minutes to work. Two years ago I had the compensator control disassembled and the contact points cleaned, and it worked well for about 6 months. At that time, the mechanic suggested that I may need to replace the compensator control. Before replacing the compensator control, should I look at some other (perhaps less expensive) part replacement? I'm thinking that the stoplight switch may be something less expensive and easier to replace, and may be a good next step. I'm also thinking of installing a manual override switch. What are others' thoughts on the direction I should go?

Posted on: 2017/6/17 21:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Inconsistant leveling system on '56 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The control switch would be the only thing that would vary the time -- as long as the car is enough out of level to trigger a change and you have the original switch, the bimetal strips and their contacts do the timing. The old bimetal contacts tend to oxidize and cause variations in original switches. If the contacts are dirty it takes more pressure from the strip (and more time for the heater to bend it sufficiently) before the relay finally energizes. If you did wind up replacing the control switch one of the modern solid state conversions should be fairly consistent.

It is possible the brake switch is showing age and not supplying power to the control switch at times. If the brake lights are working consistently the brake switch being at fault is less likely but as you said, it is less expensive than a control switch. NOS brake switches are getting to be expensive but you can buy one of the conversion kits to change to a regular easy to find 2 terminal switch for probably less than a NOS switch. You can build your own conversion for even less or, you could change to a mechanical switch as many have done and pretty much eliminate future switch replacements. Some of the original mechanical conversions used a GM switch intended for cruise control cars. The cruise control portion was used for the TL. If you do the relay and 2 terminal hydraulic conversion and want to go mechanical at some point then a very inexpensive two terminal mechanical brake switch can be used instead.

If you add the manual override switch be sure and wire it per the factory so it goes thru the limit switches. Max Merritt used to have some original kits in stock. I don't know if he still has any so if you do go aftermarket with the switch just be aware that bypassing the limit switches can cause serious damage if the compensator moves too far. Too many have found that out the hard way.

Here are a couple of drawings that might help.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.97 KB)
209_5945efca659a1.jpg 1161X834 px

jpg  (54.33 KB)
209_5945f0a449bda.jpg 1000X856 px

jpg  (73.13 KB)
209_5945f51793629.jpg 1149X657 px

Posted on: 2017/6/17 22:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
Thank you for this information. I was able to locate the brake light switch, and I cleaning the connections; as they appeared somewhat corroded. Seems to be working better and more consistent, now.

Posted on: 2017/6/22 8:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
That did not last long. I think my next step will be getting a new control switch box (a newer solid state one). For now, I'm leaving the compensator switch (under the dash) in the off position, and manually leveling the rear-end as needed by grounding one of the solenoids.

Posted on: 2017/8/6 15:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved