Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 & 1956 Starter. Delco or Autolite interchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The fun never begins!
Went to pick up a Delco starter today but it was in pretty tough condition.
But found a '59 Mopar Autolite starter with the same Bendix as my Autolite & and pulled mine apart.
The first problem is that when the flywheel tore up the bendix, the armature contacted the field windings and made a mess. Well, maybe the '59 starter parts could be mixed & matched??
But everything looks just different enough that this does not look like an option...
Maybe those smiling brothers on the cover of my parts catalog will take a Autolite starter core for a Delco?

Posted on: 2017/6/24 22:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Sourced a starter from Beautiful Duluth MN, scrubbed it up a little and have it in. I believe that there are a couple of advantages in going with a Delco over the Autolite.

(A)It is about an inch shorter and thus lighter which combines for easier installation.
(B) The solenoid is configured a little differently so the clutch return spring clears the Battery terminal by more than the previous 1/4 inch.
(C)It has 2 sets of brushes instead of one and the starter spins noticeably faster. This combined with greater parts availability makes it a no brainer.

Tonight I am off to the cruise-in to enjoy vapor lock season!

Attach file:

jpg  (151.53 KB)
15023_5957f9611aa90.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/7/1 14:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad the MN parts man had a starter available. As Ross pointed out, the Delco solenoids pull quite a bit more current compared to the Autolites. With the 55-56 (and even the 54) key start ignition switches being somewhat low capacity in the starter contact department and starting to be expensive and harder to come by, it wouldn't hurt to take a bit of that heavy current load out of the switch.

There have been some reports that adding a relay to operate the solenoid was a factory suggestion but I have not come across any documentation to that effect -- although It may be in some of the Stude bulletins that I don't have.

Here is a diagram I threw together of what needs to change if anyone wanted to add a relay. One of the 4 pin 30 amp cube type relays available from numerous ebay vendors could be mounted inline behind the dash where it would not be noticed or it could be placed at the solenoid too. Either position would work with the only difference being if the neutral safety switch or relay on cars so equipped was before or after the relay. The added battery connection could be picked up easily at either place.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.05 KB)
209_5957fffc83721.jpg 1200X1619 px

Posted on: 2017/7/1 15:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved