Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 80

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Alternative to Jack Stands
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I was going to do this long ago, but got talked out of it by my friend, and earlier by my father.

But I finally broke down and did it.

What I found is that I felt very unsafe putting the car up on jack stands to do things like clean the oil pan, check the transmission fluid level, check the brake fluid (hard to get to from on top).

What I did was purchase 4 heavy-duty ramps (flat on top, with a little stop), they are plastic but rated each for 3000#, they come in pairs. You can buy them at OReilly's or Autozone or what-have-you.

Then you jack the front of the car up and put the ramps under the front tires, with the stop to the front.

Then you jack the rear of the car up and put the ramps under the rear tires, with the stop to the rear.

Now the car cannot roll off the ramps, is perfectly level, and is much, much more stable and safer than the equivalent arrangement on jack stands, especially considering how high you have to get the car off the ground to work comfortably.

To get the car down, reverse the process, though you could just only remove the rear ramps and roll backwards. I prefer to just move the car up and down vertically, it's not that much more trouble.

Attach file:

jpg  (148.08 KB)
148538_594c6f19274aa.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (138.13 KB)
148538_594c6f3c25d1b.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/6/22 20:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Alternative to Jack Stands
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I like them, but my neighbor was wondering how I got the car on them.
Wes

Attach file:

jpeg  (33.27 KB)
1003_594c761f9bdab.jpeg 589X251 px

Posted on: 2017/6/22 21:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I do the same thing but a lot of times I jack the car up and put the ramps under there sideways so it's easier to get under the car from the side.

Posted on: 2017/6/22 21:17
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I'd say even-steven with jack stands. A 4000 lb car on sturdy jack stands will not budge. Jack stands have been used for the past 100 years.

When up on stands there's much easier access with a creeper or on your back

Posted on: 2017/6/22 22:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
be sure to check the integrity of the plastic over time if you leave them outside a lot. I have a set of those myself and hardly use them because I get worried about the plastic giving way. just an opposite observation for why I use the metal jack stands. those drive on ones have been used for years as well....my dad had a metal pair.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 8:51
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved