Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'53 Clipper: Peculiar Instability at Speed
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ken D
See User information
When I first got my Clipper, it was downright dangerously darty and wobbly at speeds above about 15 mph. I replaced the upper A-arm rubber bushings (which were bad) and reset the toe (which was excessively toed-out). Now it is much improved, but it still has a weird feel above about 35 or 40. It almost feels like a sailboat that is top heavy; it's darty off-center and strangely heels over. I can detect no play in the steering linkage at all. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything obviously wrong, but the feel of the car is not confidence-insipring. The tires are rather old and mostly worn-out bias plys.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 23:13
 Top  Print 

Re: '53 Clipper: Peculiar Instability at Speed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ken D,
to PackardInfo.

Worn out bias ply tyres will be affected by road conditions and tend to follow or be thrown off by the "unseen" ruts in the road made by heavy trucks. A tyre upgrade won't hurt.

And, I invite you to include your '53 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 0:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Ditto on the tires but add to the list all 4 shocks and the front stabilizer bushings. Much further down the list, how are the the rear spring eye bushings and are the u-bolts to the axle tight?

You car will be quite stable and pleasant to drive when sorted out--the 51-54 122" wheelbase cars are above average in that regard.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 5:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the caster and camber. If u are running any kind of "reproduction period correct" tire then that could also be the problem.

Chek caster and camber first.
If no improvement then try a pair of MODERN PRODUCTION radial tires.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 7:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ken D
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look at the shocks and geometry but I agree that the tires are a prime suspect. They are ooooold "Broadway" bias plys and are chalky and hard. The right front is worn bald on the inside from the wonky toe. They need replacing regardless, but I'll be looking at radials.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 9:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Inside edge tire wear is usually caused by incorrect camber adjustment not by toe-in/toe-out.

Instability at moderate speed is usually not caused by a bald tire or the type of tire radial/bias unless you have mixed types on the car. Check all tires for proper inflation, air is cheap! Check alignment and see if the frt stabilizer bar is properly connected to the lower A frames. there are rectangular rubber blocks retained by spring steel clips

Posted on: 2017/6/25 10:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
May not be the same problem but my 53 Clipper was the same. someone had fitted the incorrect idler arm. There is a long one and a short one, only one is correct. Don't have part number details any more. The darting behaviour drove me crazy until I finally figured it out by looking at a spare front end that I had. Replacing the incorrct idler arm solved the problem for me. Fred will know and probably stock the correct arm. He could possible measure it and compare to yours. Just a thought and good luck. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2017/6/25 18:11
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ken D
See User information
Update: The good news is that the caster and camber are OK. The bad news is that they aren't the problem. There must be some looseness somewhere that I haven't found. A minor misalignment shouldn't cause the car to lurch about the way it does. I will look more closely at the steering linkage.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 21:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also look closely for evidence of old collision damage, unrepaired or incorrectly repaired frame damage, bent A-frame, and the like.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 8:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2017/10/19 13:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved