Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 44

Joe, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Caribbean top boot
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I am hoping that someone has photos or info on the top lashing straps and boot for the 1955 Caribbean.
I know that there are leather straps that assist in strapping the top supports to the panels that cover the top pistons which will help,pull the top into the well.
The boot has snaps that attach to the stainless strip that surrounds the top well in addition to snaps on the interior of the panels that hide the top pistons.
My question is whether there was a metal strip that holds the front edge of the boot to the rear of the back seat or the metal ledge behind the street.
I am still trying to figure out why the top retracts fully into the well if the pistons are disconnected from the top assembly but protrudes ( mostly on the passenger side) when the pistons are attached.
Any hints will be appreciated.
RJR

Posted on: 2017/6/25 21:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Caribbean top boot
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your top should retract fully into the well, the leather straps and buckles on mine (56 model) just secure the position. Perhaps you have incorrect cylinders?

You can check the parts book but I think the straps and buckles are the same for 55 and 56, maybe even the same back to '51.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since it retracts when disconnected I would wonder about the cylinders too. In addition to being the same type are there any center to center differences in length between the rod end clevis that connects to the top and the pin at the base mount when fully retracted. Is there any side to side offset at the base so that as the rod end gets near the cylinder and nothing can flex is it off parallel a tiny amount and forcing a bind at the rod clevis to top connection. Also, is the front to back mount position exactly the same so both cylinders are at exactly the same angle (and effective length) to the floor when retracted.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ewrecks,
There were not any 55-56 Caribbeans at the 2017 PAC meet in South Bend. Not that they would have the answer to your question.

Here are pictures of a 1953 and 1954 Caribbeans at the PAC meet.
Also Gary Thomas is the post war technical advisor for PAC, so maybe he could help.

Does the parts book list how many snaps are required? Check that amount to how many you have.

Any way, here are the pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (184.41 KB)
1220_59507563d0a2d.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (252.80 KB)
1220_5950758ad5204.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/6/25 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ewrecks wrote:
I am hoping that someone has photos or info on the top lashing straps and boot for the 1955 Caribbean.
I know that there are leather straps that assist in strapping the top supports to the panels that cover the top pistons which will help,pull the top into the well.
The boot has snaps that attach to the stainless strip that surrounds the top well in addition to snaps on the interior of the panels that hide the top pistons.
My question is whether there was a metal strip that holds the front edge of the boot to the rear of the back seat or the metal ledge behind the street.
I am still trying to figure out why the top retracts fully into the well if the pistons are disconnected from the top assembly but protrudes ( mostly on the passenger side) when the pistons are attached.
Any hints will be appreciated.
RJR

There was no "metal strip that holds the front edge of the boot" since the flap on the leading end of the boot was more than adequate to tuck and accomplish the goal for 1953-1955. The purpose of the boot was to finish and protect the inner facings of the top. Most people do not realize that convertible tops usually begin to rot from the inside out rather than the outside in. The inner faces of convertible tops were never meant to fend off weather, sunlight and moisture-all of which are death to the fabrics. Thus top boots are important to use. Every time a top is left lowered without a boot in place, it lays victim to UV rays, smog rot, moisture in the air, setting dew, etc. And for inner faces containing cotton or various blends of fabrics made overseas with sulphur dye residues, this is a nasty recipe. What happens when you mix sulphur with H2O?

Anyway, the leather straps on Caribbean top frames were definitely not there to pull the top into lowered position in the top well. The straps were only there as an engineering overkill (as one might expect on a luxury automobile back in the day...) and as a prewar leftover. The actual purpose of these of these straps was to hold the lowered top snug and thus prevent possible rattles. Otherwise they really were not necessary. Such straps were more common in the older days of convertible tops when there were no power mechanisms and nothing to snug the topstack framework in lowered position. With a powered top, these straps really became unnecessary overkill.

If your convertible top is not lowering fully or is wiggy-wagging with one side different in height to the other, the most likely reasons are as follows:
? mis-matched hydraulic rams
? improper hydraulic rams
? binding in top hinges
? improperly adjusted topstack frame and mechanism
? air bubble, gunk or dirt in electro-hydraulic power top mechanism
? leaking hose on hydraulic ram
? bent hydraulic ram rod(s)
? improperly installed or fabricated top fabric or pads

One thing that most people who own and work on convertibles today never do is to "burp" the electro-hydraulic power top system. Just like with bleeding brake systems, this is a very important thing to do. In some cases it may actually prevent blowing a seal and if burp is done, will result in better operation and less strain on the system.

By the way (and I have posted about this before) I stopped using brake fluid in electro-hydraulic convertible power top systems. Discovered automatic transmission fluid works just as well... with the hugely added benefit that it does not tend to turn into a solid that resembles blue rock salt after sitting for extended periods.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2017/6/26 6:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The belt molding along the back of the top well, 437483, is the same for all 51-56 convertibles.

Posted on: 2017/6/26 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Look at the parts book, group 31.0375
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/31_BodyTrim.pdf

How many fasteners on your car compared to the parts book?

Here is a 55 Caribbean at 2016 PAC meet.
And the last picture was from one that was for sale, I think on eBay or Craigslist.

Attach file:

jpg  (201.48 KB)
1220_59516c85c73ee.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (172.50 KB)
1220_59516cc0eb0fd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (327.17 KB)
1220_59516ce50a5ff.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (130.05 KB)
1220_59516d34bce03.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2017/6/26 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Gentlemen- As usual I thank you for your help. The photos clarify the issue of the boot.....the tucking of the front edge looks a bit sloppy but if there was no strip to hold the front edge of the boot.....my current installation is correct. I asked this question largely because my 57 Lincoln Premier uses a strip to permanently attach the front edge of the boot which then pulls over the top and snaps in place around the stainless at the rear of the well and over the interior panels which hold the rams.
The question of why the top does not fully retract into the well with the lift cylinders connected will take a bit more work. The too has been a pain since first efforts to install the original top supplied by Gretchen Keppach. The top was not cut correctly but the installer made things worse by going crazy with a staple gun and ruining the top. By that time Gretchen had ceased producing tops and no other supplier furnished a top with the liner matching the interior .
As previously posted I was able,to have a top with the correct color lining created with the assist of Superior tops. It looks great when the top is up but on the first efforts to retract the top last spring....I cracked tte top frame.
That piece was repaired successfully but the top continued to retract with a twist which I intitally determined maynhave been caused by a bent ram on the passenger side top piston. I ordered and installed a new set of pistons secured from Hydro Electric. The system was recharged with automatic transmission fluid...and burped ...per their instructions.
The problem improved but has not resolved.
I will play with it some more......Ross says he won't deal with it but will fix my speedomer if we can coordinate schedules.
It will work....eventually.
Thanks again.
RJR

Posted on: 2017/6/26 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
RJR,
I see 3 snaps on the top of the back seat of the 53 and 54 Caribbeans. I don't see any snaps on the back seat of the 55 Caribbeans.
On Craigslist,

Attach file:

jpg  (102.99 KB)
1220_595304978fa4b.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (114.69 KB)
1220_595304a31f647.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (107.38 KB)
1220_595304ae1c31a.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (109.75 KB)
1220_595304be3685d.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (74.54 KB)
1220_595304cd2f6d7.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (104.00 KB)
1220_595304df6ebbf.jpg 1200X675 px

Posted on: 2017/6/27 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
RJR,
I see 3 snaps on the top of the back seat of the 53 and 54 Caribbeans. I don't see any snaps on the back seat of the 55 Caribbeans.
On Craigslist,

That's because 1953 and 1954 boots are the same. 1955 is different and neither uses nor requires snaps on the rear seat. 1956 is different again.

Posted on: 2017/6/27 20:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved