Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Yellow Metal in a transmission or differential
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
I have a 1932 902 standard eight.

Is there yellow metal in the transmission or differential?

Brass and bronze are not compatible with gear oils rated GL-5 due to the high sulpher content, so I understand. But I don't know what's inside a Packard transmission or rear end of this vintage. Can I use a modern GL-5 or should I look for a GL-4 or other low-tech gear oil?

Thanks -- Scott

Troy, NY

Posted on: 2017/7/20 9:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Yellow Metal in a transmission or differential
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Scott - 3 transmissions used in the 9th Series; if your '32 Eight has the new 3-speed synchro transmission which was introduced in stages during the year (Light Eight and Twin Six first, Custom and Deluxe Eights last), then it has some yellow metal in the synchronizer rings as does the 4-speed synchro unit. The 4-speed non-synchro has no yellow metl to my knowledge though I've never had one apart. No yellow metal in the differential.

Not all GL-5 extreme pressure gear oils of today have the compatibility problem with yellow metals. I've used Valvoline SAE85W-140 GL-5 in Packard transmissions, rear axles, steering gear boxes, and overdrives for at least 25 or 30 years without any problems ever arising though I have in more recent years moved away from that practice. Perhaps it and some current formulations no longer have the issue but for sure the very first extreme pressure gear oils, long before the GL- designations were introduced, had sulfo-chloro-lead additives which were aggressive on yellow metals but were the Packard-recommended gear oils beginning with the introduction of the Angleset (hypoid) real axle.

My best advise, erring perhaps on the side of caution, is to go with SAE 90 GL-1 for your steering gear box, Bijur and transmission, and multi-vis GL-5 for the differential.

Here's the decal from an 11th Series rear axle (photo courtesy of John Wemple), Whitmore is still around and you might "Google" the name for more info. At least one of their EP hypoid oils still contains the sulfur compounds, though other EP oils do not. If you decide to call Whitmore and get some technical advise from them, I think many of us would like to hear what they have to say. From their data it looks like their Multi-Plus would be their recommendation today.

http://www.whitmores.com/products/gear-oils.htm

Attach file:

png  (1,033.40 KB)
177_5970cab9edad5.png 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2017/7/20 10:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved