Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Modern Paint Codes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Wurts
See User information
I am about to paint my 39 Limo either Packard Maroon or Loyola Maroon. Does anybody know the modern paint codes for Packard or Loyola Maroon so that the body shop can Mix the paint. TCP Global sells "Restoration Shop" paint Anybody had experience this this brand.

Are there pictures of Packards with these color paints.
I do not know the color difference of these paints.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 12:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Modern Paint Codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
In 1973, I had my '40 painted the correct "Laguna Maroon." We had no trouble matching it from Dupont formulas the long-established local auto parts and paint store had, but that is long gone now. If you are lucky enough to still have a locally-owned parts and paint store, that might be worth a shot. I'm not sure it would be helpful to see the different shades on a computer screen as colour reproduction varies widely from device to device.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 14:00
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have bought a few gallons of their paint. Easy to use like the good old acrylic enamels of yore, and they did pretty darn well with the color matches.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 17:56
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Wurts
See User information
Thanks Both Ross & Sherlock. I was able to find the modern DuPont code for the Lugana Maroon. From the Packard club info the Lacquer mix on both Lugana and Loyla are nearly similar. However Lugana was not a 1939 paint option. One possibility that can work. I could order a quart of the "Restoration Shop" paint and try it. That way I can see if I actually like the color and gloss. Do you know of pictures of cars painted wit the Packard Maroon and Loyola or Laguna Maroon so I can see the difference. Actually I could order a quart of both colors from TCP Global and get a side by side comparison. Your comments and Thoughts

Posted on: 2017/7/24 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Bill:

I was the guy who listed the modern DuPont paint codes shown on this website under Packard Paint X-Ref. Look under Packard Owners Registry in 1941 and scroll down to the 1477 model cars - there you will see my convertible sedan. Click onto the photo for a larger image.

When I was researching Laguna Maroon I happened to find an OEM master paint ship from PPG. I then looked at a lot of OEM modern (circa 2002) chips and found a perfect match in both color/tint and luminescence/metallic/opalescence. It was from a 1999 era Chrysler color.

My car earned a CCCA Premier Award (three first place finishes in a row) and 2 PAC 1st place awards. The chief pre-war historian said it was the best match he has ever seen for Laguna Maroon.

I am not as familiar with 1939 Loyola Maroon. I thought it was very close to Laguna Maroon, but I never compared color chip (they very with the quality of the printer) or car to car.

Just make sure that if Loyola is a metallic paint, then be sure to add the finest metallic/opalescent available.

Hope this helps. --Roger--

Posted on: 2017/7/24 13:16
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Wurts
See User information
Roger,

The paint I like is the paint you have on your 41 business coupe it says Laguna Maroon Poly. Is this a metallic?

Your 41 Conv Laguna Maroon Opal seems much darker

Both your cars are beautiful.

I have attached a word doc where I copied the formulas from the Packard club web site for the 38 Loyla Maroon Metalic and the 41 Laguna Maroon Metalic. They are very similar but there are small variations. In your experience would these small differences be markedly different?

Posted on: 2017/7/25 9:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Wurts
See User information
I don't see my attachment I will try again

Attach file:

pdf Size: 101.42 KB; Hits: 90

Posted on: 2017/7/25 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I can't translate this to modern paint formulas, but for 1937 Packard Maroon Dupont code was:

G Packard Maroon 246-31471-M
Dark Maroon 246-0372 23 1/4 oz
Light Maroon 246-0373 8 3/4 oz

Posted on: 2017/7/25 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Bill:
Thanks for the nice comments about my Packards.

I purchased the 120 business coupe about 6 years ago and it was restored in 1991. The previous owner changed the car from Packard Blue to the two-tone you see now. The maroon he selected was not even close to the OEM paint sample I found when I did a body-off restoration on my convertible sedan. And the biggest error was that (for whatever reason) the metallic powder was NOT added.

Many terms are used to describe a metallic paint color, including: poly(chrome), opalescence, pearlescence, luminescence, etc.

I listed the color as a poly, so as to reinforce that the color should have metallic in it.

Frankly, I was LUCKY to find the OEM paint sample. If you only rely on paint samples printed on paper you will find a lot of variations for what is supposed to be a standard color.

IMHO, many modern paint colors very closely mimic vintage colors. So do as much research as you can looking through modern color samples and pick a color you like. Make sure it has a metallic base, but in the FINEST flake size that you can find. It should NOT look like metalflake.

All the best.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 8:00
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Make sure it has a metallic base, but in the FINEST flake size that you can find. It should NOT look like metalflake.

Although it's expensive and probably not every paint supplier can or will provide the service, it is possible to ball-mill the metallic particles separately to reduce their particle size before incorporating into the paint. I had that done for the Roman Copper Metallic on my '56 Carib.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 9:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved