Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Electrical System Frustration
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
Thank you gentlemen,

I continue to learn here and appreciate all of your insight. I'll look into a 00 battery cable.

Andy

Posted on: 2017/8/12 13:32
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

afsinc
See User information
I hope this question is not off topic. I have a 39 Six. The amp meter reads straight up when the car is running or not running. When its running and I turn on the headlights, the needle drops to full discharge. What causes this.
Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2019/11/16 12:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The amp meter gage generally stays in the middle of the gage when the car is off. When running the gage will move from center toward the minus according to whether more current is being used than the generator can replace. Or plus if the generator is making a bit of excess.

Posted on: 2019/11/16 14:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi afsinc, normally I would say it's no problem joining in but I think you would have been better off in the Pre-War forum. because I believe that you have a three brush Generator and the charging is control by that third brush. I not sure so I won't go any further.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/11/16 17:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wes, I believe the last 3rd brush generator system used by Packard was 1936. 1937 onwards they used shunt-wound generators and full generator control, same as postwar.

Posted on: 2019/11/16 17:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Afsinc, Wes is right - this post should get moved or restarted in the prewar forum. I too have a '39 Six, and, although I can't comment on the generator style, I can say that it sounds like something is amiss, either with your amp gauge, charging system or wiring, as the gauge should center when off, should show significant '+' charging immediately after starting as the generator replaces the juice used to crank the engine, and the gauge should definitely not go to full discharge when you turn your lights on. If your idle is set to spec, just the headlights should be 'absorbed' by the gen,'s input and stay reasonably centered. If you say, had the heater on high, headlights on and then turned your driving lights on then you would/should show discharge at idle, but then if you revved the engine up a bit the needle should go into the plus side. If the gauge is going to full discharge when the lights are turned on, then you likely either have a wiring short or a bad generator/voltage regulator. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/16 19:46
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Owen, we're always learning.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/11/16 19:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved