Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
22 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 22

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

steering shimmie on 1929
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I had the problem before and it was fixed for several years and now it shimmies after hitting several hard bumps. Several years ago it did this and I replaced the tie rod with a good one also all new pins and bushings in the front. and new springs because the bushings fit loose in to the old springs. I jack it up this morning and everything seems tight but I did notice that when moving the left front wheel back and forth with my hands at the 9 and 3 oclock position the axle was moving front to back . The axle moves because the trunion springs and the links on the front let it rock back and forth. most cars today have 1 end of the spring pined to the frame so it cannot move front and back. Is there any type fix or update for this? Thanks for any help

Posted on: 2017/8/7 8:25
 Top  Print 

Re: steering shimmie on 1929
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure what your problem is but the fact that hundreds of Packards with the trunnion block don't exhibit shimmy shows that it is NOT cause. The trunnion block was actually introduced because it minimized or eliminated shimmy.

My '34 has about 88,000 miles on the front suspension, still original king pins, tie rod and drag link ends, spring shackle bolts and bushings, etc. and they are all still quite snug. But on rare occasions I can get a bit of a shimmy, speeds of about 45 or 50 when crossing a set of railroad tracks at a diagonal to the highway will sometimes do it but a quick and light tap on the brake pedal normally ends it immediately.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 9:09
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mathias Seidler
See User information
Good afternoon from Germany: I would also like to renew all pins and bushings at the front axle of my 1937 Sedan # 1092
Especially the top bushings are really worn out and there is no chance to lubricate them properly - see attached photo.
Can you get me an adress where I can buy some new bushings and pins?
Highly apprciate Your help

Mathias

Attach file:

jpg  (137.38 KB)
1796_5cfec335d5687.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/6/10 15:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Try this:
https://www.steelerubber.com/restoration-parts

Also looks like you have a modern shock absorber attached? Get the original shock rebuilt and you should not need?

Posted on: 2019/6/10 19:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Make sure the spring U-Bolts bolts aren't loose, if the springs have sagged that may have affected the castor, make sure the front shackle mounts are tight in the frame. I've seen the rivets come loose and start flopping around. The Cadillac system was much more robust - sorry about that.

The steering sector connector links should be tightened to provide a 3-4 pound pull force straight ahead with wheels off the ground.

The shocks do have an impact at shimmy speeds as well. Extreme tire imbalance can also cause problems at shimmy speeds.

If you can find one, the car can be put on a four wheel alignment rack. The one we have here will do it, but it is not for commercial use.

The 36 manual has a long list of items to check for shimmy issues.

Posted on: 2019/6/11 5:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Quote:

mathias wrote:
Good afternoon from Germany: I would also like to renew all pins and bushings at the front axle of my 1937 Sedan # 1092
Especially the top bushings are really worn out and there is no chance to lubricate them properly - see attached photo.
Can you get me an adress where I can buy some new bushings and pins?
Highly apprciate Your help

Mathias

From the model # you have a 37 120 4 door sedan. It has an independent front suspension thus n o leaf springs with the trunnion block which was last used in 1936.
The upper bushings you picture are rubber thus are not lubricated. Rebuilding the front end by replacing all bushings and king pins will restore it to new car performance. The steering on '37 is unusually light and shimmy free at all times. In the center of the front crossmember is a center steering pin/bushing which is usually worn as it has no means of lubrication. All these parts are available as kits from Kanter Auto products www.kanter.com

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Product

Posted on: 2019/6/11 9:18
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mathias Seidler
See User information
Thanks very much for Your help

@ James:
I will order the complete set from Kanter.
Also found a Disc Brake Conversion Kit on www.kanter.com
Question: Do these disc brakes #120003C fit on the original axle with my original wheels?

Posted on: 2019/8/23 8:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved