Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 39

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55/56 convertible hydraulic pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No problems, malfunction, or leaks; I just thought it was time to give it a preventative checkout. I'd appreciate instructions on the proper way to check the fluid level and add if needed. I can read on the pump to use Dexron II, and some warning about overfilling but the full text is illegible. I'm guessing you must check it with the top lowered so the maximum amount of fluid is in the reservoir?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/8/12 12:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 55/56 convertible hydraulic pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a paragraph and photo of checking and refilling on page 27 in the body section of 55-6 SM. I wonder if you have a later revision to the procedure or a replacement pump. The SM says it takes brake fluid.

Posted on: 2017/8/12 13:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, sounds like a replacement pump from HYDRO-E-LECTRIC in Punta Gorda, Fla.
http://www.hydroe.com/
Their pumps use AT fluid not brake fluid as original.

Posted on: 2017/8/12 22:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks guys. Randy, yes - the pump, cylinders and pressure hoses were all replaced just before I bought the car. My original 56 Service Manual didn't have a Body Section but Howard's reference answers the question - check with the top raised and fluid level should be at the bottom of the threads of filler plug.

It seems Packard was a bit behind the times still using brake fluid in 1956, according to Hydro-E-Lectric the industry began the switchover from brake fluid to ATF in 1953.

Posted on: 2017/8/13 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Thanks guys. Randy, yes - the pump, cylinders and pressure hoses were all replaced just before I bought the car. My original 56 Service Manual didn't have a Body Section but Howard's reference answers the question - check with the top raised and fluid level should be at the bottom of the threads of filler plug.

It seems Packard was a bit behind the times still using brake fluid in 1956, according to Hydro-E-Lectric the industry began the switchover from brake fluid to ATF in 1953.

Ford was a leader in using transmission fluid rather than brake fluid. A very wise move since trans fluid is not nearly as likely to dry out like brake fluid. Yes, if you had anything on your power top motor reservoir referencing Dexron II it has to be a modern replacement pump.

RE: brake fluid vs. transmission fluid and Packard... As for Packard being behind in using brake fluid in power convertible tops... actually, not so. GM was still using brake fluid in power convertible tops well into the 1960s. They eventually went to fully electric tops.

RE: top position for fluid check... Of course, always check fluid level with top in fully raised and latched position. Adding fluid with the top lowered will almost certainly blow out the seals in your power top ram cylinders. By the way... when that happens in an overfill condition, the fluid that squirts past your seals will end up power squirting the inside fabric of your nice convertible top... along with the accompanying stains and odors! So not something you want to do.

Posted on: 2017/8/14 22:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved