Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

kevinpackard, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: fuel issue or carburetor issue?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
My Carburetor is a WDO 644S. I wonder if that ball if missing from the accelerator pump could cause my issue. I was surprised after I put the carb back together that it even started and ran beautifully. I'm sure they don't throw extra parts in there for no reason.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 9:22
1950 Packard Standard 8- plain jane no options!
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The steel ball in the Carter Carstarter is much larger than a BB. I also found a BB-sized ball bearing left over when I re-built one of my 531-S Carburetors. It wasn't the check ball for the accelerator pump, that was in place. All I can figure is that it was a check ball that got lost in the carburetor during a previous re-build and re-appeared when I soaked the carburetor in carburetor cleaner. If yours isn't a check ball for the accelerator pump and you find a place for a second "BB" please let me know.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 9:22
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
Another thing I noticed is that there is a 1 inch spacer between the carb and the the base of the intake. Is that needed? All the rebuild kits give 1 gasket. If that was stock shouldn't they come with 2 gaskets?

Posted on: 2017/8/22 23:42
1950 Packard Standard 8- plain jane no options!
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There was an insulator used between the carburetor and the manifold, and yes, it is important as its purpose was to help prevent vapor lock by providing some thermal insulation to the carburetor. But if yours is really 1 inch as you say, I suspect it's not original to the car - the original was (by memory) about 3/8" - 1/2" thick.

Posted on: 2017/8/23 7:54
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved