Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Just don't get any love.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I was looking at the Auburn auction catalog and there's a slew of 6 figure classic prewar Packards, and one comparably nice '50 "8" 4 dr, and it's listed for estimate, $8-12K. Even used Volkswagons are commanding much better(2-3X) prices than bath tubs... I wonder how they sold any at all back in the day, strictly off brand loyalty and pre-war reputation, I guess.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 18:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Just don't get any love.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If I remember right the 1948-50 Packard won some sort of styling of the year award.
They are one of my favorite Packard cars. John

Posted on: 2017/8/22 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I like the 2 door bathtub models but the other ones are not really my cup of tea.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 19:45
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
my realy nice 49 true golden anniversary paintcode "R" deluxe sedan was adverted for nearly a year, passed severall exhibitions and eBay without being sold. 10.000 $ was the price.
I was looking to buy a straight eight car and the packard bathtubes where my first choice, because their aerodynamic stile fits the airplane sound of the engine best. I would have prefered a club sedan coupe too, but the golden colour was the special gift that made the decission easy.

lets be happy that those cars are not as expensive as many others, you can enjoy driving them without beeing afraid that there will be a damage or it will be stolen. I own a lot of cars that no longer offer enjoying without thinking about money... VW T2 baywindow camper in excellent condition.. bought it for 5000... last offer 40.000, Porsche 911 now 50.000, Jensen FF bought 15.000, now 150.000 ... you can?t park such a thing without beeing arround and watch

Attach file:

jpg  (452.47 KB)
151586_599d2c92466f7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/8/23 2:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree about favoring the look of the 22nd-23rd 2-door club sedans. I think the convertibles for those series fit the body style the best. Thinking about it, the longer the wheel base the better the look, especially the 7-passenger models. JWL

Edit: The 20th and 21st series Clipper club sedans were more attractive than their successors. Too bad there were no Clipper convertibles.

Posted on: 2017/8/23 10:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 22nd/23rd Series Custom 8 convertibles and club sedans certainly command pretty good prices, excellent examples of the convertibles are in the $60,000 - $90,000 range and the club sedans a bit less for really nice examples. And one occasionally sees an exceptionally nice Custom 8 sedan for a bit north of $30,000.

Posted on: 2017/8/23 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...Our 23rd Series came home because Dolores liked her a great deal. Her opinion of the early 1930's Packard Automobiles was that they looked like big Model A Fords. Her opinion of the 51 to 54 models was that they looked too much like Chevys...She really liked the 23rd Series...I guess it was something like the three bears. Having had 'Miss Princess' for about 5 years now, she has grown on me and I find her rather stately! She might not be the very best looker, but she IS the very best lover! Ernie

Posted on: 2017/8/23 16:39
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"Her opinion of the early 1930's Packard Automobiles was that they looked like big Model A Fords. "

Posted on: 2017/8/23 20:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
They were quite fashionable when new. As others have mentioned they won awards and sold well. Compare them to the new for 1948 Hudson, the 1946 Kaiser, the 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan and Mercury, the 1949 Nash. The 'upside down bathtub' look was the in thing for a few years, but did not age well.

I have noticed that since the 1990s when the jelly bean look replaced the boxy look on new cars, the old Packards started to look better.

Now they look too much like the new cars to get recognition as 'classics'. It's the full fendered 30s cars, or chrome and tailfins 50s cars, that grab all the attention. 48 - 50 Packards just look like an old car.

Posted on: 2017/8/24 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Those post war Airflyte Nash have aged well, and the older they get the better they look. I am on the lookout for a nice 1/24th diecast model of one to add to my collection. Anyone here know of who might have one? Thanks - JWL

Posted on: 2017/8/24 16:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved