Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shifting linkage stuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
I have a 1941 Packard 110 Business Coupe that I just purchased. It runs well but every once in a while the gearshift gets stuck, usually when I try to go from 1st to 2nd gear. I have to get out and manually "free" up the linkage under the hood.

Has anyone experienced this also and does anyone know where I should start to correct this, it is a pain when I am driving. I am not sure if it is in the linkage itself or the transmission. I thought about a good dose of WD40 on the linkage but haven't done that yet.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/8/29 11:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Shifting linkage stuck
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Chas, a common problem as these cars get well-used. If you use the search feature you'll find dozens of posts on this.

Posted on: 2017/8/29 11:42
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply, I will do that.

Posted on: 2017/8/29 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning and welcome to the world of Packard Automobiles. Once you determine that you have the shifting forks adjusted properly, you might find that your transmission has lighter oil than it should have. When we purchased our 1949, we had similar problems...they continued until we changed to 140 weight gear oil and the transmission has worked like a clock since. These old girls have had many owners in most of their lives and they come to us with all sorts of things that are not stock. As we discover and repair the experience just becomes better ane better. ENJOY. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/8/29 12:01
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
Thanks for the help Ernie. I will try your suggestion.

Chas

Posted on: 2017/8/29 12:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
This is a common problem with the 1940-41 and 42 models.

You need to read these threads:
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6106&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

and

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14285&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Lots of parts in the shifter linkage need improving the first place to start would be the shifter LEVERS. They are mounted at the base of the steering column and the parts numbers are:

First and Reverse: 3.328 #360425
Second and Direct: 3.329 #360426

Lucky for you they are still available at Kanter's

Posted on: 2017/8/29 13:41
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Chas, happens with my '41 120 too and I'm living with it. In my case found that it mostly happens when shifting back from 2nd to 1st so now avoid doing that. Instead slip back into top from 2nd then go to 1st, long way round I know but it works for me. Also with all shifting, do it very gently.

Posted on: 2017/8/29 16:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Remember the first to second mantra Up, Over, and Slow. Otherwise direct, fast = no go.

Kanter is not the only one who can supply a pair of shift levers, I believe I have some NOS ones in a drawer here too. flackmaster at sbcglobal point net
Read the links that Roger provides, thank you Roger. Also note comments on lubrication - seemingly simple cleaning of crud makes a world of difference at the bottom of the shift column...

DAF

Posted on: 2017/8/29 16:16
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Back in 1963 my dad found a 1941 "120" on a Ford used car lot. The little old lady had traded it for a Ford Falcon. Imagine that ! Well one Sunday we started out for a Sunday drive and the gears got stuck as Dad shifted from reverse to first. He tried everything as it blocked the busy street in front of the house. Finally he called our old Buick mechanic and he told him to get on the driver side front fender and bounce the car up and down. It worked ! He remembered this from his years of experience as he was in his sixties then.

Posted on: 2017/8/29 16:46
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved