Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Clutch Fan on Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
A mod I installed about 15,000 miles ago was a clutch fan. It is real quiet, draws the air straight thru, and pushes it straight back on the engine. The OEM fan sounded like an airplane at speed, and slung the air everywhere once it exited the shroud. The OEMs are also notorious for breaking and coming thru the hood.

Basically a 21.5" BBC clutch fan, an early GM pulley, and a GM waterpump flange was used. The pulley is smaller, so it speeds up circulation as a side benefit. The pulley is also shallower, allowing the flange to be pressed back far enough to provide clearance for the radiator. Clearance may not be an issue with V8 Packards, but with the Stude sometimes it can be a show stopper for just about any mod under the hood. But I have also managed to squeeze AC under the hood on both of the 56Js.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/28 22:02
 Top  Print 

Re: Clutch Fan on Packard V8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks, good info. I have a '56 Packard V8 and would like to install a clutch fan. What kind/year of GM clutch fan and water pump flange do I need to get and did you have to do any machine work to get them fan to fit? Also, I would like to install AC as well. Can you tell me where you got your AC/Alternator brackets from? Thanks.

Hotrod

Posted on: 2007/6/6 0:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The alternator bracket I fabricated. Also replicated a stock 56 Packard AC mount, then welded mount tabs on to fit a Japanese compressor. Have to bend the oil filler tube for clearance of the compressor though, or else install an oil cap on one/both of the rovker covers.

The fan was simple enough, don't recall any fabrication, just a matter of figuring the combo of the right parts to fit together.

Probably best if I take pix and send them to you. Not sure how to post them on this NG, or if anyone else would be interested.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/6 0:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks. Would you also send me a picture of your alternator bracket as well so I'll have a general idea where/how to start fabricating my own? Also, do you recall the year and model the fan is from? I also have the stock Packard AC mount on my car and I was wondering how to convert it to use the Sanden compressor without having to totally remove it. Any help in this area is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Hotrod.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 5:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Joe wrote: "The alternator bracket I fabricated. Also replicated a stock 56 Packard AC mount, then welded mount tabs on to fit a Japanese compressor. Have to bend the oil filler tube for clearance of the compressor though, or else install an oil cap on one/both of the rovker covers."

I'm a bit confused. The FACTORY AC bracket on the PACKARDS mounted WELL to the LEFT side of the engine and well away from the oil filler tube.

To attach a pic, go the the "Attach File" box that is just below the reply box wher u type in a message. Clik "browse" and it will pop up a box for u to choose from a a listof names of pics in your computer. Double clic on the name of the pic u want to attach and then clik "submit".

Attach file:

jpg  (42.36 KB)
35_466692fc35402.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/6/6 5:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
pic from right side. NOTE: this is NOT a factory air con bracket but i made it to fit just like the factory bracket including the oil filter. Oil filler tube presented NO problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.79 KB)
35_4666945eaa0a3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/6/6 6:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For reference, here is stock AC bracket. This is a casting and is part of and forms the bottom of the Lehigh compressor. It bolts to left head in place of oil filter, spans and bolts to thermostat housing. Oil filter then goes on Rt side. No clearance problems with oil filler.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.78 KB)
209_4666cc057e742.jpg 522X480 px

Posted on: 2007/6/6 10:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Underside of factory bracket.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.19 KB)
209_4666cd3965b62.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/6/6 10:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THANKS for the pic !!!! I never realized that the bracket was actualy part of the pump.

Question: Is the CAST IRON bracket for 56 ONLY???? I have in my possession (not installed) a steel plate bracket that will fit perfently the Packard V8 (just like the CI bracket) and some how i am under the impression that it is 55 only. Altho It has NO provision for a oil filter.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 10:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bkt off a 55 but there is only one listing in manual for 55-6 compressor with bracket so this is probably it. I have another Lehigh (no mount) that came off a 56 with an ARA trunk system. It has a stamped steel piece bolted to compressor using the round pattern but then a 4 bolt pattern to bracket like a York or Tecumseh would use. I'm thinking that since Stude also used those compressors, maybe the bracket you have came from them or even aftermarket maybe ARA or Frigikool. Perhaps the fellow with the GH can tell us if the oil filter is in same place and how AC was done on the Stude application. If you could post a pict of your bracket, would be most interested. I want to also mount a Sanden and would like to explore options.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 11:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved