Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'55 power steering ram to frame mounting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Hi,
I am reassembling my steering and have a question about attaching the power steering ram to the frame bracket. The manual says to tighten so that the distance from outside washer to inside washer is 1-13/16". (see 1st pic). But I don't see how this is possible. The distance from the shoulder on the rod to the cotter pin hole is about 1-1/2" (bad pic, sorry). Does anyone know if this measurement matters or should I just tighten until I can get the cotter pin through the castle nut and call that good enough?

thanks
Bob

p.s. I added a rubber boot over the ram as it seems like there should be one. Got it from Stangers.com and it is below the shoulder of the ram and not affecting this issue. I also got some rubber bushings from them in the same kit. They were too thick to be able to attach the nut, so I trimmed them down a little bit and that is what you see in these pics.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.54 KB)
120663_59b0b3b647fb0.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (62.17 KB)
120663_59b0b3d6dd31c.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (68.17 KB)
120663_59b0b40b3260e.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2017/9/6 21:54
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 power steering ram to frame mounting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have a Bendix unit or a Monroe? The dimension and bracket shown in the manual is for the Monroe unit but the bracket in your photo looks like it is for a Bendix unit.

Bendix bracket is 3/8 or so thick and Monroe is about 3/16 where the grommets go. Not sure the compression or ram threaded end dimensions are the same either without pulling them apart. I don't find any measurement given for the Bendix unit or any specs on how thick the rubber grommets might be. There are different part numbers for the Monroe and Bendix grommets so they may be different thickness to go with the different brackets..

You do want the rubber compressed fairly tight so there is no appreciable play possible. I would tighten until you can get the cotter key in.

Here is what both brackets look like.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.83 KB)
209_59b0c40ad00c9.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.46 KB)
209_59b0c4c243fd9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/9/6 23:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 power steering ram to frame mounting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Ah, that explains it! I have the Bendix system. Confused me as the picture in the manual shows an extra metal washer on the outside of the bracket. I added one to match the picture but now I see that the Bendix doesnt have that.

This is a big help. It's pretty tight when I crank the nut down enough to expose the cotter pin hole, no play at all.

thank you very much!

Posted on: 2017/9/7 8:07
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved