Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New gas tank from Kanter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Good morning fellow Packard lovers: today I joined that elite groups of Packard guys who order a new gas tank from Kanter and got it installed. It was a welcomed sight to see a new shiny gas tank on my Packard. There were a couple of anomalies that I'd like to hear your comments about to see if you encountered the same thing. First, the vent pipe end sections did not line up with each other. But since each end is for a section of rubber hose this is not big issue. Second, the gas filler tube at the very top is resting on the face of the gas flap body. This might take a bit of refitting since I cannot get the new gas cap on--yet.
This will be my last major restoration step prior to placing ad and to sell my Packard in the coming weeks. I have enjoyed taking my Packard to car meets and excursions of every type for 30 years. Now it will be someone else's turn.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.12 KB)
3440_59b6bf2461aee.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (17.58 KB)
3440_59b6bf4f002e2.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2017/9/11 11:54
 Top  Print   

Re: New gas tank from Kanter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall anyone mentioning a fit problem before. From what I remember all seem to be generally happy with the fit and quality of the tanks. There was one person that had an issue with fuel spilling out of a notch at the cap sealing surface. Don't recall if there was a resolution on that.

I believe yours must be from the second batch just recently made and I wonder if there is a poor bend or weld position that is not correct and is maybe on more than one tank. If the mounts won't let the tank slide over toward the right to get the outlet more centered I don't have any suggestions. Have you been in touch with Kanter to find a proper resolution? If not, I would suggest letting them know there may be a problem.

Posted on: 2017/9/11 12:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hello,

I am sorry to hear the trouble that you are having with the tank that you purchased. We have had the second run of tanks for sometime now and have had no issues. I have order in a sample from my warehouse to compare to what you received. Was there by chance any damage to the box it came in when you received it? I will report back once I have a sample in hand

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
1-800-526-1096
Ext 316

Posted on: 2017/9/11 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Are you making any prewar Super 8 gas tanks yet?
Thanks Todd

Posted on: 2017/9/11 15:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
As far as I know they are still on the table for consideration at this time.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2017/9/12 9:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hello: there was no damage to the (3) shipping cartons. The tank come in an inner carton of thinner cardboard, and two outside cartons of thicker cardboard. I took photos of all of this prior to moving the carton to the garage to open.

Posted on: 2017/9/14 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
30 years ago I helped install an original 1956 400 gas tank into a 1953 Patrician with a tank that had more holes in it than swiss cheese. The neck on the 56 was slightly longer (about an inch) when we placed the tanks side by side. We went ahead and installed it anyway to get the guy back on the road and it was a tight fit. That's why the filler hole and cap nearly touches or does touch the flap door and the cap barely goes on. Last month I saw a new Kanter tank installed on a 51 Convertible. I noticed the same issue again. The neck appears to be slightly longer on the Kanter repo tank just like the 56 tank was. Looks like the Kanter tank was built like the 55-56 tanks? However; I just checked and they indeed have the same Packard part number. I'm getting older but I do distinctly recall the 56 had about a 7/8 to 1 inch longer snout.
Does anyone have two tanks they can place side by side? Was this ever mentioned in a period Service Counselor? thanks!

Posted on: 2017/9/20 0:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
For a second, looking at the topic, I thought Kanter was introducing a tank for prewar. If you decide to make a tank for 40 Super 8s, I'll take one.
Joe

Posted on: 2017/9/20 1:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
That makes two of us. Hopefully they will

Posted on: 2017/9/20 14:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved