Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ball & Trunion
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Need the change the rubber boot on my 1952 Mayfair. I am told dealing with the ball and trunion joint is a pain. While doable it is best left to a shop that does trucks, or specializes in the procedure. One friend mentioned that their are modern boots, used on new cars that have some sort of zipper for easy removal and replacement. Went to NAPA today to inquire and they don't know of anything like that.
Thanks Todd

Posted on: 2017/9/11 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Ball & Trunion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
they are easy and very straight forward. the main thing is to make sure when removing the bearing caps it to do it on a clean bench with a white towel as their is a good chance you WILL disturb the needles. Even if you don't, you will when you go to re-install.

If the needles come loose, no problem, they are very easy to install upon reassembly, just don't loose any.

The biggest hassle we have which is really not a hassle is the trunion will have to be pressed out from the shaft ball after removing the bearing caps and then pressed back in after the boot has been changed.

Do not put the boot clamps on until you have the trunion back together and the end cover back in place. This is the easiest way.

On a bad day, should take you no more than 30 min. Just did one on a Caribbean and Clipper..

Posted on: 2017/9/11 16:12
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't help on the modern split boot question but would be nice if someone knows for sure or at least has a dimension so we might try to cross. I believe several Mopar products used the same junior sized units.

Complete repair kits for the joints used on junior cars and the Mopars are still seen from time to time on ebay. Kanter lists them too. The larger units for seniors are the hard to find ones and if repair on those are needed I believe it is easier to have a driveshaft shop replace the entire joint with a modern conversion. Just the senior boots are probably available though.

If the individual boots Kanter lists are the ones in this service counselor, there is an article (starting on page 27) that explains how to replace the boot without removing the pin.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO7.pdf You might even be able to find a Mopar version at Napa.

Posted on: 2017/9/11 16:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you both very much.

Posted on: 2017/9/12 1:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved