Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

pmhowe, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

'42 Clipper Eight with Air Conditioning - photo documentation
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

This '42 Clipper Eight "Elite" with factory air conditioning appeared on Athens (Radcliff), Ohio CL, September 2017. The link is on Various CL Pickings #2850, because it will eventually disappear, the photos are posted here for future documentation.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (41.49 KB)
409_59bd8c7463903.jpg 750X501 px

jpg  (50.96 KB)
409_59bd8cac94ac0.jpg 900X607 px

jpg  (62.01 KB)
409_59bd8cf8c1c13.jpg 950X581 px

jpg  (78.01 KB)
409_59bd8d4c3e12a.jpg 1024X638 px

jpg  (42.78 KB)
409_59bd8d7ff362f.jpg 969X590 px

jpg  (47.37 KB)
409_59bd8db8922c6.jpg 884X534 px

Posted on: 2017/9/16 15:47
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: '42 Clipper Eight with Air Conditioning - photo documentation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If anyone comes across another AC Clipper, it would really be nice to complete the documentation with a good photo of the compressor and exactly how it mounts on a Clipper. I have wondered why they changed the compressor from the right on conventional bodies to the left on Clippers. Maybe a lower hood and because of the manifold it would not fit on the right but they could drop the compressor down in the filter space on the left????

A question I posted in the Craigslist thread a few days ago is with the apparent changed location of the oil filter to accommodate the compressor in the old filter space, was the Electromatic Clutch available with AC Clippers? The filter seems to have taken the space for the EC control valve. Was there a horizontal oil bath air cleaner different to those on postwar Clippers used prewar and available with AC? The horizontal style cleaner would also appear to be blocked by the revised filter location.

Posted on: 2017/9/16 15:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Hopefully when Steve picks this one up maybe we'll get some better close up pictures of the AC components.

Posted on: 2017/9/17 8:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I sure would like to see and read about this War Clipper being restored.

Posted on: 2017/9/17 10:04
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Counting the plug wires it looks to be a 6 cylinder.... Wouldn't mind having it if I had the space and time to work on it.
John

Posted on: 2017/9/17 11:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
??? Using the max magnification on my puter I think this might be a straight eight engine. Could a 6 cyl engine run the air conditioning and power the car too???

Posted on: 2017/9/17 12:52
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall ever driving a six but believe they were fairly decent engines as far as power. AC was available on all 42 model Clippers including sixes according to the Clipper parts manual. The prewar compressor is driven off the fan pulley so here is what is shown for availability. The AC parts book lists different tubings for use on a six.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.22 KB)
209_59bebaf0be144.jpg 936X310 px

Posted on: 2017/9/17 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always thought the 6's seemed like they would be underpowered at only 105hp, but then the rear axle ratio was fairly high. Probably wasn't real fast unless it was equipped with overdrive.

Posted on: 2017/9/17 15:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I'll have to defer to another with far greater restoration skills and deeper pockets to take on this challenge. Its located 400+ miles from me, though I hope a Forum member in the area will at least go and document what Howard would like to see.

Best if someone would buy it even if only to salvage the rare A/C components. From what I can see in the photos and experience with rust-savaged northeast cars in general, this poor Packard is a goner.

BTW, does anyone know what the small emblem on the rear of the hood near the door is? The seller list it as a "Clipper Elite", I've never heard that "Elite" term associated with any Packard model.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/9/17 20:06
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That is the car that we sold in the 1980s. It was a relatively low-mileage car when we had it, something like 42,000 miles. Sad to see it in such poor condition, now. It is a "120" eight.

If I remember correctly, the a/c pump was missing when we owned it, too. My brother took his driver's license test in that car.

My brother just informed me that we still have the a/c compressor bracket. He found it moving garage parts from one building to another several years ago. I've asked him to take a photo of it, but he's not at home right now.

Posted on: 2017/9/18 7:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved