Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 526 Runabout
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

classiclincoln
See User information
Hope this is in the right place. So earlier this summer, I was in the Warren OH museum. While waiting for wifey to finish up, I was wandering around the gift shop and saw a 1996 issue of the Packard International Magazine with a picture of Dr. Lou Abelda's 28 526 Runabout on the cover. Grabbed it since I've never seen anything printed about the car except one picture in an AACA magazine last year.

Finally had a chance to read the article and found a few interesting things; the lower headlights are supposed to turn with the wheels (not really sure if they do or not; never been in front of the car since I'm the only one who can drive it) and that my dash should be wood grain and not painted. However, the real interesting thing was that allegedly there are only 14 of these left? I was a bit confused as to the number made; the article says "The newest Packard Six featured so many goodies that the factory "double -shifted" to speed 41,750 cars to their ecstatic dealers." Later, the article says "The late Grover Secord, the roster keeper of the 1928 Packards, said only fourteen of them are known to exist".

So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to where I can get more information regarding these numbers? Don't have the owner's manual with me, but does the article mean that 41,750 total Six cylinder Packards were made and only 14 are left? Or, since the car pictured is the 526 Runabout, do they mean that 41,750 526 Runabouts were built and only 14 are left? Or..... did Packard build 41,750 total six cylinder cars and only 14 526 Runabouts are left????

I'm also a bit confused regarding the serial number. The article says that the engine number was also used as the serial number, and the last once produced for the 1928 model year was 166941. However, the serial number on the body tag on the firewall of my car is 97582. Haven't had a chance to look on the engine; where would it be?

Anyway, really glad I grabbed the magazine! That $5 magazine is gonna cost me since now I want to get the lights moving!!!!

As always, thanks again for any help.

Posted on: 2017/9/17 18:45
Stu

28 Packard 526 Runabout
30 Hudson Coupe
57 Tbird
63 Lincoln Continental
79 Fiat Spider 2000
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 526 Runabout
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gave you a quick partial response to your identical post on The Packard Club Forum. Will provide more info for you there later.

Posted on: 2017/9/17 21:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved