Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

tappet-like noise
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
My '49 Custom 8 has recently developed what sounds like tappet noise although I'm not sure. It's most prominent when I accelerate in first or second gear and seems to diminish after I drive it for about 20 minutes or so. I thought it might be exhaust noise but I don't see any evidence of a leak and the muffler appears to be sound. I checked the timing and it's correct and I just replaced the points so I don't think it's ignition related. Anybody had a similar issue?

Posted on: 2017/9/18 23:34
 Top  Print 

Re: tappet-like noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You're going to get lots of suggestions. Here is mine: sticking valves. I say this as my 47 Custom Clipper (same engine as yours) would develop a noise that sounded tappet-like. A sticking valve can sound like a tappet because the rate of ticking is at the same speed. The new owner traced the noise to a couple of sticking valves. JWL

Posted on: 2017/9/19 10:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking along those lines and added a quart of Marvel to the oil when I changed it. But why does it get better after driving it for a while? And I don't remember it doing this previously, it just started the past couple of weeks.

Posted on: 2017/9/19 11:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
For what it's worth, the noise was due to a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. I used an air mattress air pump to blow air into the exhaust pipe and sprayed some soapy water on the manifold-to-block interface and saw bubbles. I got some new gaskets from Olson's (kind of pricey I thought), but that did the trick, the noise is gone.

Posted on: 2018/1/13 23:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I would say money well spent if it fixes the problem.
Happy driving!
Wes

Posted on: 2018/1/13 23:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
The correct gasket is a metal one with flanges. PAPER WILL FAIL! My gasket was about $89 but is correct and will last a very long time.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 0:07
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved