Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bendix spring 1930
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Hi all, The Bendix spring on my starter broke at the end where it attaches to the pinion shaft. The spring bolt and washer came out and have disappeared. Maybe fell into the flywheel housing. Can anyone advise whether Bendix springs from that era and their associated parts are fairly standard. I've been told Model T Bendix parts will work, but I'm a bit skeptical. Thanks for any advice. Photo attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (266.30 KB)
156395_59e67fcd258ca.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/10/17 17:10
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Bendix spring 1930
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might see if Classic and Exotic has anything or if possibly the spring they list for a Duesenberg is the same.http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/p-2364-duesenberg-j-bendix-driving-spring.aspx

Posted on: 2017/10/17 17:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At least based on my recent experience they are relatively easily available, I bought a spare recently for my Owen-Dyneto unit and I occasionally see assortments of them at the larger auto flea markets. I got mine from a local vendor here in New Jersey, he had many. You might try Jason at AER, he does a lot of Dyneto repair work.

One of the aftermarket makers for Dyneto Bendix springs is Lawson, their SS-5R fits some Dyneto units but I can't say that's the correct number for yours.

One for a Ford Model T fits???? - I'd be flabbergasted if that was true.

EDIT: I believe the Owen-Dyneto part number for your Bendix spring is 13093-2.

Posted on: 2017/10/17 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Dave,

Did you ever determine whether the R11-6X spring can interchange with the SS-5R as suggested in your exchange with Jason on PackardClub site?

"...by Dave Czirr ? Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 am
Calling Jason at AER! (or anyone else who may know):

Can anyone confirm that a Lawson SS-5R Bendix spring (7-coil, RH, HD) is a replacement for Owen-Dyneto PN 13093-2? The application is a Dyneto Starter DI-1034 and/or DN-952.

by startergenrebuilder ? Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 am

Not sure if I'm helping or causing further confusion, but that starter, application and Dyneto part number is a Bendix Spring number R11-6X which is in fact a RH, HD, 7-coil spring that takes 5/16" bolts, but I cannot confirm the interchange of the SS-5R spring number although my money is on it being the same...

-Jason
Jason Smith
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Grand Ledge, MI"

Posted on: 2017/10/18 13:35
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never did. Always planned to pull the starter from my spare engine and compare the 2 springs, never got around to it.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Thanks for the information. I did find out Ford Model T or Model A won't work because at the very least they're LH springs. One commenter claims this is because Henry Ford was left-handed. Ford had such a big ego I just might buy that explanation.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 12:42
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sherlock, if you wish I can give you the contact info on the local source I used.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Yes, I'd like that, Dave. I did find a chart that would indicate that the Bendix drive spring for Duesenberg advertised at Classic and Exotic will work on a '30 Packard. Evidently, Duesenberg used Bendix drive R11X from '29 -'36. Packard used the same drive from '21 -'32.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 75.08 KB; Hits: 65
pdf Size: 109.85 KB; Hits: 79

Posted on: 2017/10/19 19:04
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, sending via PM.

He's a local guy, sells primarily as a car show flea market vendor. Ive bought from him on and off over perhaps 15 years, always very satisfactory dealings. He's primarily vintage auto-electric.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 19:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved