Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

Ozstatman, 29- 640 Club Sedan, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 55 newbie Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
lot easier with glove box out,

you can see what your doing, carefull on the tabs, hh , has a kit if you break an ear, off,

on the pins, if they stick up to high that is what locks the key,

so they need to be even with cyl, if you like to tinker, you can get it.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 11:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
You can get the build card for your car from the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, that will have your key numbers on it. There is a dealer in antique car locks and keys from Dexter MI who can cut you keys from those numbers. You may find a local locksmith who can do the same.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm not an expert on the V8 Packards but I'm fairly sure that those with manual transmission had a different ratio rear end and a different one yet with overdrive. Just something to add to the work and expense if you decide to go that route. Personally I would stick with the Twin Ultramatic as it was a good transmission. Just my opinion, mind you!

Posted on: 2017/10/19 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Whippersnapper55 wrote:
Hey guys I have compiled a list of questions I have as a newbie with my 55 clipper constellation custom.
Question 1. My car did not come with the key what do you guys recommend for me to do for an ignition key,

Question 2. My car also did not come with the radiator. What do you think the cheapest solution for me is?

Question 3. How is the twin ultramatic transmission, do you like it?

Question for. What known an available transmission adapters are there for the V8 352?

Question 5. What oil weight, recommended spark plugs and wires, and Cooling do you use? Do you go to places like O'Reilly's for parts and RockAuto?

Question 6. I would like to get rid of the Packard wheel hubs so I could fit any Wheels I would want has anybody ever done this. And has anybody ever done any disc conversions?

Question 7. How hard is it to find the manual transmissions 4 the Packard V8?

Question 8. Is the VIN located on the door, 8 numbers in total?

Question 9. Where can I find the parts to the torsion bar suspension setup?

Thank you for looking at my questions you don't have to answer all of them yourself, I know I'm asking a lot sorry everybody have a good day thank you guys so much.

A few responses...

RE: Key blanks for your car... It used a standard Briggs & Stratton automotive key blank, but in reverse of GM cars. Any good locksmith ought to be able to easily cut a new key for you, especially if you remove the ignition switch and take it to him. Be sure to hold the bezel in place while pushing (compressing) the switch toward you while twisting the switch to detach. Quite easy to do once you get the hang of it. Use care and avoid forcible twisting which can break off the fragile pin hooks on the bezel. Removing the glove box can certainly make the process easier if you've never done it before.

RE: Radiator... With the jillions of used Packard radiators around there is no reason on earth why either of the fellows selling used Packard V8 parts in either San Diego or Minnesota or elsewhere all over the country can't supply you quickly, reasonably and easily with a used or NOS radiator.

RE: the Ultramatic transmission... I'm not a fan of customizing and changing these cars all around, so I'll quickly admit this. Why all of the clamour to yank these transmissions (and do twice the work you would to simply fix what is there) today is a mystery. The Ultramatic for your car was a very fine piece of engineering-which, properly maintained and driven sensibly, should be very reliable. And ... after all... it is part of the car. To each his own, but I view yanking these transmissions as similar to removing your middle fingers to replace them with somebody else's navel. Why? I know others have had Ultramatic issues... but In all of the V8 Packards I've owned- and there were a pile of them... I never had an Ultramatic go out on me. And I have rebuilt a couple on my own back in the 1970s... which as far as I know are still functioning today. Which is the second problem... these transmissions need to be rebuilt properly... not just "re-sloshed." And for an Ultramatic, the proper rebuild always begins with a proper disassembly... which is rarely done. Then folks are later shocked when the trans doesn't work!

RE: the "VIN" location... The vehicle serial number plate was always located on the driver's side door jamb... visible with the door open while looking forward. There are people online, in the Packard Club and in this forum who can answer just about any question on the plate and numbers pressed onto it.

Anyway, for what it's worth...

Posted on: 2017/10/19 16:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Leeedy has a point about finding a used radiator. It would be a lot easier to drop something in that fits rather than adapt. Gerry in San Diego has quite a bit of used V8 parts and might have a serviceable radiator that would get you going. I am not sure I would trust used to last forever since they can deteriorate in storage but maybe short term would be OK. gerry@packardssouthwest.com

If you do get a Packard radiator be sure to mount it using the combination of rubber and steel washers as indicated in this drawing. A solid mounting to the cradle that doesn't allow for a bit of flexing can lead to problems. The rubber washers are about 1/8 thick and if you can't find proper rubber washers there are some flat faucet washers from the hardware store that will work.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.06 KB)
209_59e945790f790.jpg 938X1730 px

Posted on: 2017/10/19 19:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thank you guys for being so informative about the radiator and for the contact of Gary. I want to thank the people that have provided all the literature on the website because been printing out loads of literature and making a binder at home.

I feel real confident about getting the ignition cylinder out now thanks HH thanks riki

I still don't know what kind of oil weight you guys are using on your engine

Posted on: 2017/10/20 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Is there a book on how to rebuild ultramatics

Posted on: 2017/10/20 19:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The factory shop manual covers it extensively and is a good place to start.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks and I believe I can downloaded it from this site right?

Posted on: 2017/10/20 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can download the Twin Ultra section of the SM from the literature page.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect07_TwinUltra.pdf

There is also a training book on the unit produced and given to mechanics when it was first seen in the field with the late 54 cars. Same basic unit but was called the Gear Start Ultramatic when introduced. The training book has almost the same info as that in the SM section so not really needed but it may go into a bit more theory of operation detail and how some valves work.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/gearStart.pdf

Posted on: 2017/10/20 20:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved